Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Network Engineer is responsible for the administration and management of The Chester County Hospital and Health System to assure uninterrupted and efficient flow of data and communication via enterprise network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires knowledge of network technologies and platforms as well as fluent understanding of LAN/WAN communication. Additionally, exceptional verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal relationship skills are required.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
• Apply solutions for known errors per documented methods and procedures.
• Work closely with IT staff, specifically engineers, technicians and analysts in developing/updating network infrastructure as needed based on current and future technologies.
• Assists IT management in planning for growth of LAN/WAN by identifying future needs assessing systems' growth/hospital needs and developing and maintaining the health system's strategic and tactical plan.
• Meets with vendors, prepares Requests for Proposals, prepares status and performance reports, and assesses vendor and consultant proposals.
• Analyze network and telecommunications system logs and identify potential issues.
• Perform and monitor network infrastructure backups per documented methods and procedures.
• Update documentation as required by policy and monitor that all technicians, engineers and contractors adhere to defined standards.
• Prior to deployment of any new network infrastructure, submits to the change control process all design, implementation plan, testing, documentation and support requirements based on industry and corporate standards.
• Monitor network and telecommunications system performance and respond to anomalies and issues according to defined procedures
• Troubleshoot network using line-level protocol analysis tools (WireShark, Commercial Network analyzers, Nmap, Pcap, etc.).
• Build and configure network and telecommunications systems for deployment, assist in testing, and prepare for shipping.
• Installation, operate, and maintain network devices & systems in the network/data centers and network infrastructure closets.
• Deploy, install, and implement VoIP, Video Tele-Conference (VTC), and Plain Old Telephone (POTS) system networks.
• Interface and communicate with the Network Operations Centers (NOCs) of external telecommunications service providers on incidents and service issues.
Education Training and Experience
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and 5 years of experience in network technology and administration, or 7 years of experience in network technology and administration.
• Maintain in-services, training and credentials current and is competent with Information Technology skills as it relates to this position.
• Ability to expand knowledgebase/ideas based on changing technology and remains current with industry technology in an effort to demonstrate strategic, creative solutions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of network technologies and platforms; specifically Windows OS, Unix/Linux.
• Fluent understanding of LAN/WAN communication.
• Ability to deliver complex and diverse support services.
• Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
• Strong time management skills.
• Ability to maintain confidential information and handle confidential matters.
• Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.