The Information Technology (IT) department for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (the Tribe) provides and supports a leading edge technology infrastructure to the organization in support of ever changing technological advances in the Gaming industry and the Tribe’s business enterprises. The ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is key to the success of the IT staff to meet the demands of this technically proficient and high demand department.
The Network Engineer role, working under the guidance of the IT Infrastructure Manager, is to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house data, video and Aruba wireless network services. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, reporting, systems management and capacity management, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required. The Network Engineer will provide technical leadership to more junior Network technicians in specific areas of responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with executive management and department leaders to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
- Proactively monitor and validate performance of all network and communications systems.
- Provide support, troubleshooting and administration of all network and communications systems.
- Ensure backup, restore and disaster recovery capabilities meet or exceed service level agreements.
- Troubleshoot any issues that arise with the network and communication systems including but not limited to working with third party vendors and partners as well as other SMBMI employees.
- Continually research ways to improve the network performance, policies, procedures and tools.
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, communications equipment and wireless networks, including servers, routers, switches, UPSs, and other hardware.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Perform Incident, Problem and Change management tasks as determined by management (including but not limited to Root Cause Analysis (RCA), Request For Change (RFC) and event/incident management)
- Collaborate with IT teams to create, develop and maintain documented policies, procedures, and processes such as operational run books. Provide training on these to other staff as necessary.
- Be on call on a rotational basis to support essential business clients and emergency situations.
- Provide purchase justifications and project benefit analysis.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Network Engineering role required.
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience
- Experience with load balancers, firewalls, routing/switching required
- Experience with storage protocols required
- Experience with enterprise wireless networks required
- Solid understanding of OSI model required
- Hands on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools necessary
- Experience with wide area networking technologies preferred
- Solid knowledge of load balancing, clustering, DHCP, WINS, DNS and troubleshooting skills.
- Capable of writing proposals, procedures, policies, and technical documentation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with management.
- Capable of assisting with the design of infrastructure projects.
- Capable of critical thinking and resolving complex problems.
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong decision making ability.
- Able to work in fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Strong positive, can do approach.
- Capable of working unsupervised.
- CCNP Routing and Switching Certification required.
- CCNP Data Center Certification Preferred.
- ITIL v3 Foundation certification preferred.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.