The Mechanical Engineer – Intermediate will be responsible for the design, development and release efforts for automotive components from inception to production. The Mechanical Engineer – Intermediate will be involved with current production components in addition to future development programs.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
• Design vehicle components from concept and prototype build levels to production, including characteristics from Lessons Learned in other programs and the COE engineering requirements.
• Develop statement of work/source package for the component supplier.
• Assess component suppliers to determine their technical competence to manufacture the component.
• Develop DFMEA’s to identify potential failure modes and DVP&Rs to ensure that functional objectives are met by the component design and validation is completed.
• Design the component for manufacturability and assembly, as well as work with other Product Engineers with interfacing components and systems.
• Participate in post-test reviews including failure analysis, and work closely with suppliers and manufacturing plants to ensure that design changes are robust and feasible for manufacturing.
• Lead global cross functional teams to develop parts which meet all regions requirements.
• Define “No Touch” zones on the components during assembly.
• Critique the manufacturing equipment and functions on the supplier floor with Supplier Quality engineer.
• Assess near production level parts, material dunnage and line delivery plans with the global teams, including the suppliers.
• Track warranty items, work with supplier quality personnel to address manufacturing and quality concerns.
• Deliver all functional and manufacturing aspects for the component.
• BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
• 3-5 years plus related experience with mechanical engineering component design
• Good communication, presentation and technical report writing skills (comfortable interfacing with business partners of all levels).
• Engineer must be experienced with basic PC software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
• Good teamwork skills, ability to work independently and to manage suppliers
• Knowledge of releasing process, DFMEA’s, DVP’s and root cause analysis methodologies.
• MBA or Master of Science in Applied Physics, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Industrial, or Computer Engineering, or related Engineering field from an ABET accredited university
• Passion for, interest in and hands on working knowledge of cars
• Experience releasing components at an OEM or large Tier 1 company.
• Demonstrated experience in supplier management.