The Network Helpdesk Technician will be responsible for providing overall support for all VoIP networking issues, including routers, switches, LANs, WANs, VoIP phones, connectivity, and general computer support including email and internet. They will also be focused on implementing, verifying and providing a smooth operation of new equipment by provisioning various network devices; ensuring that network devices are maintained; configuring and troubleshooting the network that supports connectivity to customer; producing detailed implementation instructions or carrying out required changes to complete tasks/projects; troubleshooting failed installs; and general customer’s questions/issues.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Handle trouble tickets for voice, Internet, email, web hosting, managed IT and managed networks.
- Assess tickets entered into the queue and escalate as needed to ensure tickets are resolved in a timely manner.
- Train/educate customers on self-inflicted issues.
- Self-educate utilizing resources provided; voice system services and equipment.
- Keep a list of skills that require training on for tickets that are escalated for future training opportunities.
- Monitor systems in order to identify connections issues in order to act on issues prior to customer contact.
- Perform service restorations of customer VoIP troubles and outages.
- Provide direct customer VoIP support, utilizing remote trouble isolation and service restoration techniques applicable to the customers IP connectivity.
- Provision network equipment for new client installations such as routers, switches, and wireless access points.
- Able to remote support customer related issues.
- Technical knowledge in Telecom Network topics: OSI Layers, Ethernet, IP, MPLS, spanning tree, networking, Layer 2 and 3 switches, and routers.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Have a general understanding of most of the following equipment: Cisco routers, Edgewater routers, Cisco switches, ATA Faxback, Polycom VoIP phones, and/or Cisco VoIP phones.
- Basic knowledge of provisioning, implementation, and documentation of network configurations.
- Experienced with LAN/WAN architectures & related diagnostic tools including wireless networking principles and protocols including Ethernet, TCP/IP, VLAN, WLAN, Frame Relay, Firewall, VPN, switches, routers and firewall.
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP protocols - SMTP, SNMP, FTP, HTTP, SSH and SSL.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Network Security - Firewall, ACL, IDS, IPS and SIEM.
- Proficient with Cisco Routers, Switches, or Firewalls configuration, provisioning, and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge and experience provisioning within Broadsoft a plus.
- Experienced with Microsoft - Active Directory, DNS, WSUS, Terminal Server.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word (2010, 2013, 2016, Office365)
- Knowledge of Windows Desktop Operating Systems (7, 8.1, 10)
- Knowledge of Windows Server Operating System (2008, 2012, 2016)
- Knowledge of LANs, WANs, VLANs, Layer 2 and 3 switching, TCPIP, Networking, VoIP, Desktop Administration, Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware, E-Mail/Exchange, and Mobile Email Operation
- Must be fluent and articulate in written and spoken English.
- Fluent Spanish a plus but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and listening
- Outgoing personality, fast learner, and works well under pressure
- Ability to work constructively under stress and pressure in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
- Self-starter who can learn and work quickly and independently while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to consistently produce high quality, on-time, and error-free results in an interrupt-driven environment.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding ability to organize, track, prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously without constant supervision
- Excellent team skills with the ability to create effective relationships with peers and partners
- Provide a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers
- Independent, strategic and creative thinker who is a strong collaborative team player and willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary
- Ability to mentor and train others on technical topics.
- Able to operate office equipment such as fax machines and copiers
Education / Previous Experience:
- High School diploma required. Associates or Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Management Information Systems, Information Technology, or equivalent preferred or equivalent work experience related to networking hardware
- N+ Certification, preferred
- MCSE and CCNA, preferred.
- 1 + years of operational hands on experience and support of Hosted Voice Systems, PBX’s, and enterprise data networks, required.
- 2 + years of experience in configuring, testing, and troubleshooting network LAN and WAN issues including wireless, routers, switches, phone hardware, etc. required
- Prior helpdesk experience required
- Professional office environment
- Physical lifting and moving of equipment and other IT-related hardware not to exceed 30 pounds
- Occasional flexible work hours are required.
- Participate in on-call rotation within networking staff at a minimum of one week per month (no consecutive weeks)
- Open cubicle environment
- Must be comfortable with constant conversation in close surroundings while maintaining focus on current tasks at hand
- Long hours of sitting required for answering phones, working on customer issues and network related problems
- Quick paced environment
- Must be able to handle high call volumes
- Must be able to handle possible unprofessional customers