In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.Responsibilities
Provide leadership, planning, management, and direction of technical staff and operations for the Network Systems Department (NSD). NSD is a component of the Communication and Network Architectures Subdivision within the Communication Technologies and Engineering Division. NSD supports Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), other US Government, and Civil/Commercial customers in the areas of space and ground network architecture and design, network protocol and performance analysis, modeling and simulation, and network systems engineering. Key Functions
- Provide and communicate a strategic vision for the organization consistent with the strategic plans of higher-level organizations.
- Encourage and nurture an innovative environment through the pursuit of internal corporate research opportunities and customer funding.
- Establish the organization's objectives and goals, and communicate them to colleagues, subordinates, management, and customers.
- Conduct the organization's activities consistent with corporate policies/practices, goals, and objectives.
- Participate with higher management in determining the organization's structure, staff, and support needs.
- Participate in budget planning and allocation of resources consistent with strategic plans and visions.
- Report the organization's activities, progress, and achievements through written and oral reports to management, subordinates, and customers.
- Collaborate with the other functional components of the larger organization.
- Develop and practice effective knowledge management techniques to meet corporate obligations and customer requirements, populate corporate archives, and ensure technical products are of high quality, long-lasting, and available to all employees.
- Hire workforce to meet customer demands and organizational goals.
- Assign and coordinate work activities within the organization; monitor workload, work progress and schedules; ensure completion of organization's work assignments within cost and schedule guidelines.
- Seek and identify opportunities for new business, and assist higher management in the evaluation and pursuit of such opportunities.
- Promote and market the organization's capabilities to customers.
- Engage with customers in identifying areas to support, and develop statements of work and statements of expectations.
- Cooperate and communicate frequently with customers to coordinate and report work progress, issues, and results.
- Conduct staff performance reviews and recommend performance improvement, career development, salary and promotion actions; establish staffing needs and recommend reassignments, training, transfers, and other staff deployments; assist other supervisors in evaluation and assignment of staff.
- Monitor and direct organization's security processes, compliance, and safety awareness.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or another related field from an accredited university.
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible engineering experience in satellite communication systems.
- Demonstrated experience in successful team building and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues as well as corporate, customer, and contractor management and staff.
- Demonstrated effective mentorship, career development, and interpersonal skills toward subordinates.
- Experience in new business generation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Active Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance. (ship required)
- Ability to travel as needed, typically once per month under normal operating circumstances.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or another related field from an accredited university.
- 12 or more years of progressively responsible engineering experience in satellite communication systems.
- Line management experience at The Aerospace Corporation.
- Successful project management experience.
- Experience in NSD areas of expertise including space and ground network architecture and design, network protocol and performance analysis, modeling and simulation, and network systems engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to manage remote staff.
- Experience with Air Force and NRO ground and space programs.
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement