Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
MSC is currently searching for a Oracle Database Administrator to support our client on site in Rockville, MD
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure and administer various software, database and network / firewall systems.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and resolve database, network, and firewall issues, including resource allocation, sizing, maintenance, performance tuning, backup / recovery and release / patch upgrades.
- Coordinate development, installation, integration, tuning, and load testing of mission-critical Oracle applications.
- Develop and debug PL/SQL code.
- Configure, maintain and support InterMedia /ConText search engines. Facilitate cross-platform database migrations of Oracle Solaris RAC database servers to Oracle Linux RAC database servers.
- Install, configure and actively monitor Oracle Data Guard physical standby databases.
- Implement and administer Active Data Guard feature.
- Partner with UNIX / Linux system administrators in developing hardware and database file layouts, mount options and IP / network configurations for 2 or 3 node RAC database servers, and in addressing database connection / performance issues.
- Collaborate with network security administrators in configuring firewall rules / policies and troubleshooting connectivity issues, and with Web administrators in providing support for database / software configurations.
- Research and present recommendations to management on new-product purchases.
- 5+ years of experience with Oracle 10g/11g RAC database installation, administration, patching, upgrades and migration on Unix/Linux. Oracle 12c experience is a plus.
- Experience using SQL and PLSQL to assist developers with code reviews.
- Proficient in developing and implementing database backup and recovery strategy.
- Proficient in query and database tuning.
- Understand database security model and how to use it effectively to restrict data access.
- Experience setting up and maintaining Oracle Data Guard.
- Familiarity with Oracle Golden Gate replication or Dell SharePlex is a plus.
- Demonstrated in taking initiatives and working independently.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Open to learning and working with new technology.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Expertise writing shell scripts.
- Proficient with Unix/Linux command line utilities and operations.
- Ability to work and collaborate with cross-functional teams to address database application issues.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- PostgreSQL or MySQL secondary skills is a plus.
- Experience in a cloud environment, AWS a plus.