Position: Manager, PMO
Department: IS, PMO
Reports to: Director of PMO
The PMO Manager oversees the full project management life cycle for the implementation of highly complex, large-scale, strategic IT and business initiatives. The PMO Mgr. will ensure that best practices adapted to the culture of the company are followed by each Project Manager so that all the initiatives meet their goals and objectives. Implements and provides guidance related to PMO processes and policies, oversees the work of project management staff and works with other department leaders to define, prioritize, and develop projects and programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures everyone in the PMO group adheres to the PMO Standards: Excellence in project delivery, Excellence in Communications and Interdepartmental Relationships, and PMO delivers business value.
- Manages day-to-day activities in the PMO to ensure IT programs and projects meet organization goals and requirements.
- Tactical oversight of all projects including readiness assessments, project status, issue management, escalation process, go-live review, etc.
- Responsible for reviewing PMs key project deliverables before they get published
- Work with the project sponsors and key individuals to define the scope of the project and of the project deliverables (the product of the project).
- Identify risks, issues, dependencies and mitigation recommendations across projects
- If applicable, facilitates the vendor contracts review process with the Law Department
- Continuously work the PMs and BAs on improvement opportunities such as meeting facilitation, critical thinking techniques, tactical issue resolution and how to move things along
- Establish resource needs, skills sets, training and development needs for all resources.
- Conduct performance appraisals
- Recruit and hire staff
- Accountable for ensuring that the formal PMO processes are used on all projects
- Coordinate with PMO Director the assignment of PMO staff to projects
- Generate weekly PMO Status report on all active projects
- Participate in the process of coordination of the annual budget for IS
- Communications and presentations to all levels of the organization
- Works with the PMO Director on implementing yearly PMO goals
- Leads the ongoing development of the PMO methodology, including the development and improvement of standard tools and templates
- Leverage SharePoint or other solutions as ways to automate or improve current PMO processes or tools
- Provide ongoing education and support for all project team members on the proper use of, and the reasons for, project management processes and tools
- Document lessons learned. Incorporate feedback and recommendations for improvement to the project management methodology and templates
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Project management. Deep expertise in project management methodology, processes and techniques. Expertise on at least one major project management tool. Knowledge of project and project portfolio governance models and techniques.
- Business Process Management. Knowledge of standards and techniques for process optimization and modeling current state and desired business processes
- Organizational Change Management. Knowledge of techniques for supporting the organization through changes being brought about by projects.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions.
- Proven experience in managing PMO staff
- Knowledge and skills with workshop facilitation techniques.
- Communications: Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and business language. Ability to communicate in a simple manner, taking a confusing situation and decompose it to simpler elements. Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Relates well to a wide variety of styles, types, and classes; open to differences; effective up, down, sideways, inside and outside; builds diverse networks; quick to find common ground; treats differences fairly and equitably; treats everyone as a preferred customer.
- Fearlessly takes on all issues; challenges and people; comfortably confronts and works through conflict; delivers negative feedback and messages without hesitation; deals promptly and fairly with problem performers; lets everyone know where they stand.
- Flexible and able to change approach when necessary to deliver results.
- Must have the ability to assess situations and make corrective actions and adjustments to approach and style to complete tasks at hand.
- Able to think ahead and anticipate issues. When difficult situations occur and there isn’t a straight forward and immediate direction, able to find ways to move things along.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred.
- PMP certification preferred. If not, employee will be expected to work toward certification.
- Minimum of 10 years of hands on experience as a project manager/program manager on business and IT projects.
- Minimum 5 years managing a PMO/Delivery group
- Experience in the pipeline industry and/or energy industry is highly desirable.