This is a fast paced and challenging position where you will be working on power electronics designs that are used on the Project Kuiper Satellite. Your power designs will need to meet tough requirements in terms of efficiency, size, mass, thermal and survive challenging environments with high reliability.
Key job responsibilities
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
In this role you will be a Power Electronics Engineer in an engineering team responsible for new product development. You will be a subject matter expert in the area of power electronics focusing on DCDC power conversion and associated power electronics components.
You will own efficiency, mass and cost models of various power electronics designs and investigate different topologies to optimize the system. You will be responsible for design of power electronics prototypes, including component selection, schematic capture and layout. You will be responsible for driving designs through PCBA manufacturing and assembly, and for board bring-up, testing, design verification and proposing and implementing solutions to design issues.
This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you'll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You'll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you'll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than a big company. We will need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
A day in the life
You will work cross team to define architecture, requirements working with multiple teams, and deliver high performing and high quality power electronics designs, schematics, PCBAs for a number of different satellite subsystems.
About the team
You will work closely with peers and stakeholders from within the power team as well as solar array, battery, mechanical, thermal, EE, sensors, actuators and antenna teams to iterate on design and provide optimal solutions for the satellite. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 3+ Experience designing, testing, and debugging switching DCDC power supplies including analysis, component selection, schematic capture and layout.
- 3+ years of experience in hardware development across full product life cycles - concept to production.
- Experience with measurement, troubleshooting and debug skills in a lab environment.
- Experience studying converter stability, design of control feedback and compensation networks.
- Graduate degree in Electrical Engineering with focus on power electronics.
- Experience with high-current, low-voltage point-of-load DCDC converter designs for communications systems, consumer electronics, data-center/server hardware, etc.
- Experience with isolated topologies, such as resonant converters, flyback and forward converters.
- Excellent knowledge of magnetics design for high frequency applications and soft switching techniques.
- Deep understanding of different power electronics circuit topologies, including current sharing and multi-phase topologies.
- Experience with embedded microprocessors or microcontrollers
- Experience developing high-efficiency DCDC power converters from concept to production.
- Ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations; experience working in cross functional groups including mechanical engineering, thermal engineering, test, reliability, and failure analysis.
- Cross-organizational communication - comfortable evangelizing ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively, in both verbal and written forms.
- Experience with power, performance and cost optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to engage technology developers in the industry to track and apply emerging technologies to innovative power electronics designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit