At Trane Technologies®
we Challenge Possible. Our brands - including Trane®
and Thermo King®
- create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what's possible for a sustainable world.
Thermo King has an exciting opportunity for a Power Electronics System Engineer
. This role will lead power electronics module development & integration into zero-emissions Transport Refrigeration platforms. This work will shape the future of Thermo King's sustainable product offerings! Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Work with internal team members and external suppliers to develop power electronics modules for use in Thermo King electric transport refrigeration units.
- Perform modeling and simulation, controls development, and HIL validation in the application of power electronics to Thermo King Systems.
- Utilize analytical tools available in the industry, including thermal design, algorithm development for motor control, motor protection and drive protection.
- Develop Lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze results and document results in reports.
Essential Skills or Knowledge:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Power Electronics and at least 3 years of experience in systems and/or electrical product design is required.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering is a plus.
- Strong understanding of power conversion technology, devices, circuits (Inverters, DC/DC converters, Soft starters, Power Input Active Rectifiers).
- Hardware design and system integration experience with controllers, variety of battery technology, power electronics, motors (Synchronous and asynchronous machines, brushless DC, and control)
- Familiarity to thermal requirements and reliability of power electronic modules
- Ability to understand and review schematics, wiring diagrams (review PCB critical layout features for Power Electronics applications is a plus).
- Ability to translate System interfaces and operation into software requirements for these applications. Experience with Sensor less Vector Control, V/f Control Schemes for induction machines a plus.
- Application understanding in industrial and consumer transportation, transport refrigeration, off road agricultural, construction equipment, or HVAC engineering experience desired but not required.
- Experience in simulation using Mathworks tools (Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow) preferred.
- Experience in simulation using PLECS preferred.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what's possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.