energy to Alliant Energy!
At Alliant Energy, our purpose is to serve customers
and build strong communities
. We are passionate about powering beyond the market challenges of today, while powering what's next in energy.
Alliant Energy has an outstanding opportunity for a Power Systems Analyst II
to join our team! In this role you will work with engineers to identify new methods and tools that address the challenges of a changing utility industry through data collection, modeling, and analysis for updating existing tools or developing new ones. These tools shape the decisions we are making in building and operating our distribution system, including renewable resources. This position may be filled at a higher level depending on candidate qualifications.
Location options include Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Ames or Marshalltown, Iowa with flexibility from a hybrid work from home/in office to full time in office.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the electric utility industry with strong data analytical skills.
Recent team projects:
- Automation of our prioritization process through development of a new tool put into use as completed to support the development of our annual investment plans.
- Improving efficiencies by transforming tools or the way we do our work.
- Working with a third-party vendor, sharing a broad range of data to enable development of a granular forecast used for planning studies.
Job Qualifications Education
- Performs data extraction and analysis to support Planning and Distribution engineering needs (load, reliability, revenue, assets, etc.) for near-term and long-range plans, including map development and updates. This is includes monitoring data and identifying if corrective actions are necessary. Develops presentations and performs analysis, including long-range load forecasting.
- Completes data requests pertinent to planning and distribution engineering to meet contractual and compliance reporting requirements with oversight from delivery system planner or supervisor.
- Assist with leading in development of data governance procedures.
- Builds moderate to complex operational system models including extraction and allocation of load. Ensures model accuracy for switching devices, protective devices, loads, DER, conductors, regulators, capacitors and other model components.
- Leads in review of standard operating procedures for model development. Oversees the development of a system model library and modeling warehouse.
- Perform contingency switching analysis in support of operations and/or distribution engineer.
- Supports evaluation on the vendor for and oversees development and implementation of computer software tools for model building.
- Responsible for implementation of procedures and communication tools (database) to coordinate execution of multi-year plan with Transmission Owners (TOs).
- Manages Electric Capital Projects Database. Support development of scope of work documentation for substations and simple line work.
- Manages the structure and format for organizing planning records and documentation.
- Verifies accuracy of the Master Substation List and consistency with other systems or groups (ERP, Power Plant, GIS, CASCADE, OSI, UFLS, PeakMap/MV90, TOs, etc.) and development of standards for governing data.
- Develops relationships with other department peers as appropriate (GIS, Asset Management, IT, etc.). Participates on teams as assigned.
- Performs contingency switching analysis under the guidance of planning engineers.
- Provides support to less experienced planning specialists.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelors degree with an emphasis in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field is preferred.
- Proficient with computer skills including computer software programs (i.e., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management), database query tools and programming languages (i.e., SQL, VBA), demonstrated understanding on data integration, statistics concepts and regression analysis.
- Working ability to develop applications and perform spatial analysis using ESRI's ArcGIS products and other related geospatial technologies.
- Knowledge of electric utility operations, maintenance or construction practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate information clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing with colleagues of a similar status, both formally and informally
- Proficient in the creation and delivery of presentations to convey information
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work environment.
It's not just what we do; it's how we do it!
Live Safety. Everyone. Always | Make Things Better | Care For Others | Do The Right Thing | Act For Tomorrow | Think Beyond. Be Bold
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is received.
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
Alliant Energy is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this dedication, Alliant Energy works to ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to preform key job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the HR Service Center at
All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.