The End User Computing - Endpoint Protection Engineer III's role is to lead the selection and efficient and effective management of the GM Financial end user computing platforms. The Engineer III is expected to be a subject matter expert in hardening the infrastructure and endpoint. Also, the Engineer III will act at a senior level to provide quality assurance reviews for junior members of the team as well as function in a leadership capacity in the absence of the Team Lead. The Engineer III will be responsible for training junior members in order to further develop their skillsets. This role will be expected to administer existing security products to effectively maintain the company's security posture. The Engineer III will also be expected to test and develop new security tools to innovate a dynamic security posture that maintains a secure future for the business. All POC material will be managed by the Engineer III. The Engineer III may also create tools and/or automation for our customer as well as for Endpoint Protection's internal use. This role has responsibility for working with business clients to elicit and document requirements used to select new and modify/improve existing end user computing platforms. This role will administer security systems for operational compliance and optimize to better enable the company's threat detection and prevention capabilities. To accomplish this, the engineer will work with other groups to identify necessary endpoint security standards and implement them across the enterprise. The Endpoint Protection Engineer III is expected to possess strong technical analytical skills while providing accurate analysis of endpoint security-related problems. This candidate should have a well-rounded endpoint (workstation and server) administration background and be capable of performing effective system troubleshooting.
- Support and maintain the global end user computing platforms insuring high performance and reliability
- Support the End User Computing operational teams in fulfilling service requests and resolving incidents in a timely manner to assure business clients are satisfied.
- Perform in-depth root cause analysis of end user computing problems and define actions for timely resolution and corrective actions. Work with key vendors as necessary to assist with root cause analysis and problem resolution.
- Plan, architect, design, document and implement end user computing platforms, operating system, enterprise software, and peripheral upgrades to improve services provided to business clients. Conduct proof of concepts as appropriate to confirm and refine designs.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for improvements to existing processes and for automation of time consuming tasks.
- Plan, prioritize, and provide vision and schedules for assigned software and / or hardware changes.
- Participate in company provided training and perform independent training as appropriate.
- Resolve incident management tickets as they arise and ensure timely resolution.
- Conduct audit compliance assessments and initiate corrective action.
- Perform critical system changes after business hours.
- Author policy, procedure and standards documents based on industry best practices and personal research and experience.
- Work closely with End User Computing technology and service peers and management emphasizing collaboration and joint effort to ensure that the needs and expectations of organizational stake holders, business partners, external customers, and third party organizations are met and/or exceeded.
- Participate in an on-call support rotation for providing after-hours support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain security systems for the global organization. This involves ensuring that systems (servers and endpoint clients) are secure, operational and compliant. Troubleshooting may be required. Vendor interaction will be required for troubleshooting escalation
- Individuals must be able to perform with high level of independence in routine duties; must demonstrate ability to solve practical problems and deal with numerous variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule formats; and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Enforce best practice security standards to address business needs while protecting vital corporate assets.
Reports To: End User Computing Engineering Manager
Direct Reports: None
- Background in endpoint administration (workstation and server).
- Advanced knowledge of endpoint security products including antivirus and host endpoint intrusion prevention
- Knowledge and experience with PCs and servers.
- Knowledge of security logging tools (log management, SIEM, etc.).
- Knowledge of ticketing systems.
- Knowledge of Windows Server and Desktop operating systems.
- Knowledge of server and desktop hardware.
- Knowledge of desktop and server virtualization technologies.
- General knowledge of cross platform integration.
- Possess critical thinking and analytical skills with an ability to evaluate problems and issues quickly and accurately in order to recommend or take the most appropriate course of action.
- Ability to think strategically and perform risk analysis.
- Ability to balance priorities in order to meet multiple requirements and deadlines while ensuring priority objectives receive proper emphasis.
- Ability to accept change and adapt to organizational change and shifting priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills with an ability to work well with others in teams and collaborative work situations.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in setting appropriate priorities for tasks to be accomplished based on project plans and management priorities are required.
- Experience with processes in functional areas (i.e., trouble management, fault management, and incident management).
- Relevant industry certifications preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years of experience in a Systems Engineering equivalent role with experience administering security products on the endpoint
- Experience in ticket queue management and knowledge of SLA adherence
- Desired, but not required, skills/knowledge/certifications: MCSE, Security+