Overview Who We Are
For over 235 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world-s leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $16.5 billion in revenues and a 23% return on tangible common equity.
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
What We Do Markets - Liquidity Services Technology Group Overview
- Managing the custody of approximately $37 trillion financial assets of the world-s leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing approximately $2 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world-s largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals through our wealth management franchise
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers
The Liquidity Services Technology team within the Markets group is focused on providing our customers with efficient solutions to manage their short-term cash and investment needs. Our platform provides clients with manual and automated capabilities to manage their short-term portfolios to maintain the right mix of cash vs. liquid assets such as Money Market Funds, Exchange Traded Funds, and Commercial Paper.
As part of our multi-year expansion, our team is adding new functionality and products to our highly efficient platform, providing our customers with the capabilities they need to drive their businesses.Principal Back-End Developer Role Overview
As a Core Services Developer on the Liquidity Services Technology team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining Java/Spring-based microservices that drive our platform to meet current and strategic customer needs. Our platform supports users in ad hoc trading, as well as sophisticated scheduled trading to inter-convert cash and short-term assets on a daily basis, ensuring the customer has the expected cash-on-hand needed to finance their operations.
In this role, you will work with fellow Core Services Developers and Front-End Developers to ensure a robust, highly scalable, distributed capability that is fault-tolerant and highly efficient. As a Senior member of the team, you will be expected to drive technology research, adoption, and innovation, to ensure the platform remains current, while providing technical guidance and mentoring to Junior Developers. Additionally, you will be contributing to the architectural direction and mapping of business cases to the overall technical architecture.Job Responsibilities
Qualifications MODIFIED BASED UPON LOCAL REGULATIONS/REQUIREMENTS.
- Consults with internal business groups to provide high-level application software development services or technical support for backed features and components. Scaling the backend architecture and codebase to support growth. Provides comprehensive senior-level technical consulting to IT management and senior technical staffs.
- Evaluates compliance with the organization's technology standards. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles.
- Works with internal business groups on implementation opportunities, challenges, and requirements of various applications. Analyzes information and provides recommendations to address and resolve business issues for a specific business group. Guides and consults with IT management and technical staff regarding use of emerging technologies and associated services.
- Participates in defining corporate implementation and integration strategies of new technologies. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Stays abreast of emerging technologies. Advocates for innovative, creative technology solutions.
- Mentors junior level engineers.
- Continually learn and gain knowledge of current technology trends and updates to domain, through self-directed research, engagement with technical forums, summits, conferences or similar activities.
- Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience is required.
- Nine to eleven (9-11) years of experience in software development is required.
- Overall years of experience should include more than seven (7+) years of up-to-date, strong hands-on experience developing software in Java, Spring, Spring Boot, Python. Knowledge of additional languages and technologies is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of Oracle database (additional experience with other relational databases is a plus) and messaging technologies (Rabbit MQ, IBM MQ, Apache Kafka, etc.). Familiarity with non-relational databases is a plus.
- Experience building and deploying solutions in Public Clouds; solid understanding of the different architectures, infrastructure and networking involved.
- Familiarity with Big Data solutions (Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Cloud options e.g. BigQuery, etc.)
- Understanding interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans.
- Prior leadership experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies.
- Extensive experience with developing and supporting backend environment required.
- Broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits.
- Knowledge about the functions and features of modern and traditional structured methods for developing applications.
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
- Ability to work individually as well as a part of the team with minimum to no supervision.
- Strong communication and organization skills.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills to support mentoring.