Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees. Are you ready to join our team?SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Principal Architect/Engineer focuses on projects within the national network of Amtrak's stations, facilities, and properties. This position will function as the project manager and subject matter expert for the assessment, budget, schedule, design, accessibility, construction, regulatory compliance, and closeout of state of good repair projects per Amtrak's requirements and common industry practices. This position requires the ability to work independently from inception through completion, align and report to stakeholders, collaborate to build teams and deliver projects, identify and control change and resources, develop and implement procurement and contract documents, develop fit-for-purpose construction documents, and audit work for quality assurance. The role requires continual monitoring and progressing of multiple projects through differing stages of work. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Project Development and Delivery Management: Actively lead projects and workstreams per Amtrak and project requirements as well as utilize assistance from the department staff and input from other organizational departments as needed for the work. Determine completion strategy including if a project should be internally performed or outsourced to professional consultants and contractors. Ensure conditions and solutions are fit-for-purpose, safe, secure, sustainable, and aesthetically complimentary. Create, monitor, refine and report fiscal, schedule, and quality baselines through the project duration. Process requests for information and documents including submittals. Develop, issue, and electronically file project and record documents. Review and close out projects to ensure Amtrak's goals, project criteria, and regulatory requirements are integrated prior to the station or facility returning to service.
- Planning: Create and implement an annually updated five-year strategy and program to assess, design, improve, and deliver projects to maintain stations and facilities in a safe, sustainable, comfortable, and customer focused state of good repair. Create, gain stakeholder support, secure budgets, and refine business cases and charters for current and future projects. Prioritize work based upon safety and security, facility sustainability, customer facing comfort and aesthetics, and others as they occur or are identified. Implement projects with other planned workflows including 3rd party projects (other departments, owners, railroads, easements, etcetera). Create and maintain a fiscal requests, budgets, and schedules as well as coordinate and implement the processes necessary for design, delivery, construction, labor, and forces. Integrate project development and delivery management, planning, and construction knowledge into project and workstreams.
- Design: Identify, document, and implement stakeholder requirements into projects. Review and audit work performed or submitted for compliance with Amtrak's goals and project criteria. Ensure materials, finishes, design, and dimensioning suit the means and methods of construction as well as are sustainable through seasonal weather cycles through the facilities service life. Review construction documents including specifications and drawings for compliance with Amtrak's and project goals. Provide feedback to Department Leadership regarding material performances and recommendations for improvements to the current best approach and design guidelines.
- Construction and Closeout: Oversee project through the construction process including review of submittals, monitoring and progressing fiscals and schedule, risk management and control, coordinate forces, labor, or implement plans to provide external 3rd party services. Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure Amtrak's goals and project criteria are satisfied, resolve punch list items, resolve budget gaps, close project and fiscal requirements. Follow up with end users on a regular basis to ensure the project was a success or if additional modifications are required.
- 15+years' experience in the leadership of projects and stakeholders from inception through closeout. This position requires expertise in delivering solutions which integrate Code and Regulation compliance including ICC and NFPA Suite, DOTAS, ADAAG 2010, and ANSI A117.1. Multiple and Single Project values may exceed $25-million approximately 25-stakeholders each. The position requires leadership and integration with internal and external finance, project managers, planners, architects, engineers, procurement, construction, forces, project delivery, operations, customer service, regulatory requirements, governing authorities and agencies, 3rd party hosts and owners, and reporting of projects to multiple stakeholders.
- The position requires the candidate have an industry accredited Bachelor of Architecture Degree (B.Arch), or Bachelor of Engineering Degree (B.Eng.Sci or similar) degree with 10+years history as a licensed architect or engineer.
- Candidates shall have experience on all phases of a multiple discipline projects of various contracting strategies including design-bid-build, design-construct, and turn-key.
- These include proficiency with the facilities design and delivery process from inception through closeout with an emphasis on contractual agreements, design solutions, construction documents, and leading projects successfully through the delivery process. The Principal Architect/Engineer shall be capable of building rapport through the utilization of graphic, verbal, written, and other forms of communication. He/She shall have experience with Autocad, Microstation, Revit, Adobe suite, Microsoft Office suite, Primavera or Microsoft Project as well as the ability to be trained and become familiar with Amtrak's requirements, systems, and software.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Licensed Architect / Professional Engineer within the United States of America.
- USGBC LEED GA or AP.
- Project Management Institute (PMI), Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Planning, NEPA, and SHPO project history and certifications.
- Understanding of railroad business functions, operations, and design and construction processes.
- Previous railroad projects including stations, facilities, and properties.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
108621 Posting Location(s):
Pennsylvania Job Family/Function:
Information Technology; Research & Strategy Relocation Offered:
No Travel Requirements:
Up to 25% Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology; Research & Strategy || Corporate Jobs