In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a Principal Director to lead our RF & Optical Communication Subdivision (RF&OCS). RF&OCS is a component of the Communication Technologies and Engineering Division (CTED). CTED is one of six technical divisions within the Engineering & Technology Group (ETG).
RF&OCS supports a wide customer base including Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), the United States Space Force (USSF), the Intelligence community, and Civil Systems Group clients (e.g. NASA, NOAA, NSF) in communication electronics, hardware implementation and solutions, and emergent advanced communications such as Optical and quantum for space communications systems.
Specialized areas of expertise within RF&OCS include communication electronics (e.g. microwave technologies, LNAs, TWTAs, wideband comm, resiliency solutions); antenna systems and applications (i.e., design, characterization, technologies), communication payloads, command & telemetry (e.g., concept development, performance, COMSEC & TRANSEC hardware), optical communications (e.g., concept development, performance, optical amplifiers, space parts, modeling & simulation).
The RF&OCS team is a diverse organization of engineers providing deep technical communications expertise and critical recommendations for National Security Space customers. The successful candidate will lead the subdivision in delivering responsive and innovative communication implementation solutions to a wide range of customers. Key Functions
- Provides leadership, planning, and direction of technical staff and operations.
- Directs technical activities of the RF & Optical comm subdivision, with a focus on innovative solutions in RF/microwave hardware, optical communications, and antenna systems.
- Assigns resources, determines staffing needs, and works closely with the department directors and the section managers to coordinate activities, planning, and deliver solutions to our customers. Continuously monitor and report (written/oral) on overall technical endeavors of teams and individuals involved in advanced research and development and delivering responsive customer solutions.
- Seeks and identifies opportunities for additional, expanded and new business and assists higher management in the evaluation and pursuit of new opportunities.
- Drives proactive and regular customer outreach and leads subdivision to develop innovative solutions, resolve issues, and produce timely results. Develop deep understanding of customer needs and direct organizational resources and operations to respond effectively to those needs.
- Leads change initiatives for the subdivision to directly respond to the higher-level Division (CTED) and Group (ETG) strategies. Leads key collaboration efforts across the subdivision, CTED, ETG and program offices in areas such as RF/microwave electronics, optical communications, comm systems engineering and integrating these positions to solve our toughest problems.
- Recommend budgets, allocates resources, and establishes priorities. Implements policies, practices, and operating processes and recommends improvements to higher management.
- Communicate goals to subordinates and upper management and monitor progress towards stated goals. Direct, assess, recognize, and reward efforts of subordinate managers and staff in achieving organizational goals and objectives.
- Monitor performance of direct and subordinate staff, conduct performance reviews, recommend salary actions, and recommend performance improvement, career development, training, reassignment, transfer, and other staff deployments.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science or another area relevant to RF&OCS's line of work including RF/microwave electronics, hardware implementation, antenna systems, comm prototype development; optical communications.
- Engineering experience and in-depth technical knowledge and accomplishments in communication hardware implementation, and/or industry solutions.
- Out-of-the-box thinker who can establish paths forward to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams in a changing environment, react quickly to changing requirements and schedules, and provide products of consistently high quality.
- Demonstrated technical leadership skills and prior management experience.
- Successful track record of leading innovation and change initiatives.
- Successful history of building relationships with customers and delivering responsive solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills for interactions at all levels.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant engineering and technical experience.
- Active SCI clearance or ability to obtain Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) (U.S. Citizenship Required to obtain a security clearance)
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Advanced degree in Electrical engineering, computer science or another relevant area
- Experience with programs in the Space Systems Group, National Systems Group, Defense Systems Group, and Civil Systems Group
- Aerospace line management experience
- Experience in new business generation with customers
- 12+ years of relevant engineering and technical experience.
- Industry experience in relevant technical areas
- Business acumen
During your interview process, our team will provide all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
- 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement