Innovation. Sophistication. Optimization. This is our passion.
Worldwide, the Volkswagen Group has a long tradition of dramatic innovations. The Volkswagen Group with its headquarters in Wolfsburg is one of the world's leading automobile manufacturers and the largest car maker in Europe. The Group comprises of twelve brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, KODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN.
Here in the US, we are blending German engineering with American ingenuity. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Volkswagen Innovation and Engineering Center California (IECC) is becoming the epicenter of vehicle electronics expertise in North America. Comprised of twelve teams, the IECC works with researchers and development teams in the US, Germany and across the globe. We're a team of engineers, designers, scientists, and psychologists looking to develop innovations for future generations of cars, and to transfer technologies from many industries and research institutions into the automotive domain. Our mission is to drive change which means we are not only impacting one of the world's largest car makers, but also the lives of millions of people. Are you ready to join us? Principal Engineer - Software Platforms Architect
This is an individual contributor position within the Software Platforms (SWP) team. Key responsibilities for this position include architecting and developing backend/cloud/distributed systems technologies and applications with particular focus on cyber security, mentoring junior engineers, advising colleagues at all levels of the organization on technical best practices, overseeing intellectual property development, indirect project management, and the development of an internal/external collaboration network.
This role allows the IECC to keep a finger on the pulse of the Silicon Valley. The candidate interacts with universities and a variety of partner companies in the Bay Area and the US. This role leads Software Platforms initiatives through the presentation of ideas, definition of new experiences, building of prototypes to validate ideas; and when successful, its productization. This role leads and influences interdisciplinary teams which might include: mobile engineers, backend engineers, industrial designers, graphic artists, mechatronics engineers, psychologists, and workshop technicians.
Role Responsibilities Technology Development
- Contribute to overall cyber security roadmap of future Volkswagen Group software and services; such as considering how quickly evolving domains like machine learning are impacted by security concerns and propose broad solutions and specific implementations
- Provide guidance across all software domains on software security best-practices and applied techniques
- Define and execute security evaluations of end-to-end systems, including static and dynamic code analysis as well as applying red/blue team methodologies
Professional Network Development
- Help move architecture and implementation through the automotive development pipeline, from research to deployment in millions of cars on the road
- Work with engineers from other groups contributing to highly scalable distributed systems; contributing to best-practices in backend infrastructure and distributed computing topics
- Working with product management team, helps defines scope, timeline, and, deliverables
- Working with project management, helps ensure project timeline and resources are managed effectively
- Interacts with project partners/stakeholders within VW Group to ensure effective knowledge transfer with proper project output for the relevant parties within VW Group
- Experiments with the latest technology trends in the cyber security domain in order to make recommendations for VW group adoption
- Aligns individual and technical goals with VW Group Innovation mission and strategy.
- Presents project/progress reports and presentations to top management, mentors, partners, and project affiliates
- Helps define common architecture and modules across multiple projects at the IECC
- Initiates and maintains partnerships with external partners (companies, research institutions, universities)
- Expands research network between Volkswagen Group and local Tier 1/Tier 2 suppliers and universities
- Transfers project output to internal Volkswagen Group partners and customers
- Regularly communicates and influences VW Group partners in Germany
- Develops supplier network with local Silicon Valley companies (i.e., prototype design and development)
- Helps management drive strategic planning for the secure communication systems technology portfolio
- Helps cultivate intellectual property portfolio in the software security and communication systems domains
- Major contributor to research and development activities to improve security and distributed systems technologies for a range of automotive industry purposes
- Support management and program leads in providing mentorship/guidance for individual contributors in the team and in related/collaborative efforts within the division
Years of Experience
- 10+ years of related experience
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field. Masters or PhD preferred.
- Communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Conceptual thinking skills
- Integration - joining people, processes, systems
- Excellent presentation and writing skills
- Experience with cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to build and maintain strong ties in a multicultural environment
- Strong customer orientation
- Familiar with the cross-functional range of automotive computing domains, including embedded, frontends, services, and cloud infrastructure
- Hands-on experience with public key infrastructure and cryptology best-practices.
- Familiar with broad domains of cyber security, including AppSec and InfoSec
- Familiarity with fundamental communication protocols from physical to app layer; especially TCP/IP, HTTP and TLS
- Experience performing security evaluations of end-to-end systems, including static and dynamic code analysis as well as applying red/blue team methodologies
- Experience promoting and implementing security best-practices and security-by-design principles within an organization
- Experience with turning concepts into functional prototypes and ultimately bringing new systems to production
- Proficiency with relevant app and system programming languages such as Java, C/C++ and Python
- Mastery of key development tools such as git, and familiarity with collaboration tools such as Jira and Confluence or similar
- Experience architecting multiple, large-scale systems as both PoCs/MVPs and in production environments
- Experience mentoring technical colleagues
- Experience as a key contributor to building technology roadmaps within a team
- In-depth knowledge of public cloud systems/software, such as AWS, and specific services such as S3, EC2, SQS, DynamoDB
- Experience with use of continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) in a production environment, including industry standard tools such as Jenkins
- Hands-on experience with operational technologies including Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, and Ansible
- Familiarity with authentication and authorization methodologies like OAuth 2 and OpenID
- Experience with Microsoft Azure cloud environment, services, and associated development practices
- General understanding of contemporary machine learning (ML) concepts, techniques, and frameworks in order to support the development of relevant, highly-scalable infrastructure for ML products and PoCs
- Familiarity with vehicle communication technologies such as CAN and FlexRay as well as existing and emerging automotive communication architectures
- Object Oriented Programming experience in Python3, C++, Java
- Working experience with Robot Operating System (ROS), MQTT, DDS, IoT tools
- Experience with Nvidia Jetson boards, RaspberryPi, Arduino, etc.
- Entrepreneurial background
- Strong record of IP generation
- German language skills
- International and domestic travel to meet with internal/external partners
- Travel for internal and external shows for communication of project progress, results, and transfer
- International travel roughly 4 times a year
Volkswagen Group of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, color, gender identity/expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.