Principal Network Engineer - INF001374
U.S. Cellular is offering a unique opportunity for the network engineers in the industry who have a drive to build and create and gain more career satisfaction out of designing sophisticated network systems and leading the implementation of critical network technology.
The Principal Network Engineer here at U.S. Cellular is tasked with ownership of all aspects of data network systems including installation of new transport technologies in support of existing data centers through their strategic domain expertise around enterprise network engineering. This role also provides strategic program and/or project management oversight, development, and/or support for network engineering project initiatives for the U.S. Cellular enterprise. This person is the enterprise/IS network engineering strategic specialist for analytics, integration of Internal and external infrastructure (devices and services) that require IP connectivity to the LAN/WAN, as well as to the Internet, troubleshooting, architecture design, and standard methodologies. Lastly, as the Principal in this space, a sophisticated level of interpersonal communication will be needed as they define and present network engineering analysis, reports, and recommendations to engineers, managers, and executive management. Location Note:
This position can sit in the following locations...
- Schaumburg, IL
- Chicago, IL
- Knoxville, TN
- Tulsa, OK
- Marion, IA
- Madison, WI
- Provide strategic program/project management support for enterprise/IS related project initiatives. Designs network architecture and integration methodology related to introducing new systems and services
- Responsible for the security, architecture, design and documentation for network hardware, data center, software, and services
- Responsible for proof-of-concept activities with vendors involving research, test case execution, performance, integration, and migration of new equipment, software, and systems that are often associated with an RFP or RFI
- Builds, owns and presents technical roadmap for IS network architecture
- Serves as the Domain Specialist or (SME) for suitable technologies
- Identifies and implements industry standard methodologies for optimizing IT infrastructure, providing policies, standards, and guidelines. Research current and future industry technology.
- Provide oversight, technical direction, and expertise to other technical members of project and support teams
- Identifies and leads process improvement areas and initiatives
- Establishes the enterprise network's Key Performance Indicators
- Actively mentors subordinate engineering staff
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 10 years pertinent work experience
- Minimum 5 years of network architecture, design and engineering in Global IT environments including cloud and third-party outsourced components
- 3+ years of experience in a Tier 4 technical support and operations role
- 5+ years of experience in Network engineering, L2, L3, OSPF, BGP, VLAN, Multicasting, MPLS, IP Network, Switching, Routing, VPN, Firewall, Load Balancing, Data Center technologies, ACI, SD-ACCESS, SD-WAN, Nexus Platforms and Network Automation. In-depth Packet Analysis and high-level routing expertise in a multi-VRF environment
- Expanding on the previous bullet: Cisco Nexus 9K ACI transformation and implementation experience is the main skill requirement for this role!
- Proficient in crafting low-level network design documentation including Visio diagrams
- Demonstrably Excellent presentation skills in front of large audiences; Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to perform sophisticated problem isolation in LAN/WAN environments and with Telecommunications infrastructure
- Authoritative knowledge of Cisco Routing, Switching, and VPN Technologies
- Experience implementing Cisco Nexus, Cisco ASA/FTD, Palo Alto, F5/Radware, Riverbed, Cisco VPN and VoIP solutions
- Exposure to disaster recovery and business continuity planning concepts and designs
- Certification(s) in relevant field of expertise (CCIE, CCDE)
- Direct project management/team leadership experience; should include analyzing information and making strategic decisions/recommendations and interfacing/collaborating with clients, peers, project personnel, and all levels of management to develop solutions and ensure partner consensus
- Previous scripting experience with Python and/or Ansible is a strong preference
- Hyper-converged technology knowledge/experience preferred
- Cloud experience preferred
: Information Technology Location(s)
: Illinois-SCHAUMBURG_IL Wisconsin-MADISON_WI, Oklahoma-TULSA_OK, Illinois-CHICAGO_IL, Iowa-MARION_IA, Tennessee-KNOXVILLE_TN
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.