Who we are:
is a highly impactful team within Catalog Systems Engineering at Wayfair that builds fast, reliable and powerful customer-facing search systems across all Wayfair platforms.
If a customer types into a search field, browses our catalog, or views products, they are routed through our systems. Our infrastructure is fast, reliable and distributed to provide the most enjoyable browsing and shopping experience for our customers and partners. The scope of data that the Search Technologies team manages includes Wayfair's entire catalog of products, customer orders, reviews, and even employee knowledge-base articles. Search Technologies is a unique team at Wayfair that exists at the nexus of our infrastructure teams maintaining our physical and cloud resources, our catalog systems that generate millions of updates per day, front-end engineering teams building intuitive interfaces for our customers, and our data science team. What you'll do:
- Build data pipeline systems that can ingest millions of data change events within minutes, funneling them into document updates on our primary search indexes.
- Build/maintain our search-parsing system that effectively routes keyword searches by customers to the correct components of our system, to provide both search suggestions, as well as the most relevant results.
- Build and maintain infrastructure to support our Visual Search system, that converts user-uploaded images into visually similar search results using Deep Learning
- Build and enhance software to maintain our search infrastructure, with caching, failover capabilities, and a customized deployment process.
- Software updates to our core SOLR infrastructure, including JVM performance optimization, data storage and query optimization
- Build Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing tools to augment and enhance Search experience. Ex. knowledge extraction from unstructured text, such as customer reviews, to enhance search relevance.
What you'll need:
- Leverage the following technologies: Apache Solr, Python, Java, ReactJS, MS SQL Server (as well as other big data and nosql data stores), Kafka, Varnish, Redis & Memcached.
- A graduate of a computer science, computer graphics, or digital arts related degree program with 2+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 4+ years of equivalent industry experience
- Java or Python experience preferred
- Experience in relational database (MS SQL or similar) schema design, optimization and architecture
- A continuous drive to explore, enhance, automate and optimize distributed systems
- Ability to work creatively and problem solve independently
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Experience in algorithms and data structures
- Experience with large-scale data processing and design of distributed systems.
- Experience with streaming technologies like Kafka, Spark, Storm etc are a plus
Wayfair is one of the world's largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we're reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you're looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you'll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We're a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair - and world - for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.