Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees. Are you ready to join our team?SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Principal Systems Engineer oversees major complex projects providing subject matter expertise and technical direction, serving as a technical lead and point of escalation. The role is accountable and responsible for systems analysis, design, development, integration, and enhancements.
The Principal Systems Engineer will be expected to be involved and take a lead technical role in day-to-day enhancement and development of Amtrak's systems and will have demonstrated expertise in Cloud technology, middleware/DB platforms, networking, packaged applications, system integration, or SW development. Involvement may also include the following: responding to change requests, Tier-3 trouble ticket resolution, monitoring platforms for failures/ exceptions/threshold issues, performance tuning, optimizing applications performance and testing applications for product upgrades and patches.
This role works closely with stakeholders to understand the business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions must be aligned with business goals and IT strategies, as well as, in compliance with the organization's architectural standards. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Owns and leads the systems development approach as an engineering exercise; confirms requirements are clear, follows a documented development/build methodology and makes sure a robust unit and system/integration testing regimen is followed to deliver solutions per designs.
- Outlines, develops and documents clear requirements and technical specifications that follow an established methodology.
- Creates and updates documentation as necessary to ensure architectures, designs and other descriptions are up to date and describe the as-deployed system.
- Consults in the development/build planning process with customers, IT business systems analysts, architects, information security, and other team members, taking the lead on all technical issues/solutions.
- Conducts or contributes to the design specifications and assists in sizing technical requirements.
- Develops technical solutions to meet defined requirements including changes, enhancements or development of new infrastructure, platform and other systems.
- May oversee or assist with oversight of third-party technical resources providing services to Amtrak.
- Ensures all work is in harmony with all defined industry and company standards as well as ensures that overall implementation is aligned with Amtrak's technology strategies.
- Adheres to quality standards and procedures. Reviews modules for quality assurance and checks compliance with application architecture standards and SLAs.
- May assist in defining development guidelines and standards to be utilized in system/solution development/integration. Provides ongoing maintenance of systems, serving as a point of escalation.
- Leads, guides and provides cross functional project oversight for technical teams/resources.
- Assists in the development of user guides and training documentation. Provides technical guidance or system process expertise for Production Operations & Maintenance teams.
- Develops technical reports and presentations for senior management, as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Management plus 7+ years relevant experience or 11+years of relevant work experience in subject matter expert capacity required to satisfy education and experience requirements
- Broad systems development and/or systems analysis experience with a displayed mastery of multiple program languages, infrastructure components or technology platforms.
- Broad level of understanding of information systems and systems architecture and integration standards.
- Ability to focus on business goals while ensuring development is completed on time.
- Ability to work well under deadlines and in a flexible environment.
- Experience/in-depth knowledge of business operations and systems requirements processes and ability to apply technical solutions to meet business needs.
- Proven ability to utilize adaptable communication skills to effectively translate between technical and business language.
- Experience in educating project team members on business unit goals, objectives, and initiatives, and guiding junior resources to develop appropriate system solutions in alignment with business objectives.
- Ability to identify, propose and oversee the execution of business and IT solutions as well as interpret documents communicating business and IT needs and requirements.
- Must possess the skill to assess the client needs through direct interaction and identify opportunities to develop the business through effective use of technology.
- Experience overseeing/managing third-party/vendor technical teams and resources.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Management with 9+ years relevant experience.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Management
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
107748 Posting Location(s):
District of Columbia Job Family/Function:
Information Technology Relocation Offered:
No Travel Requirements:
Up to 25% Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology