Lead Database Reliability Engineer Opening
We are the team that architects and manages the backend datastores for the streaming platforms like HBO Go, HBO Now and the future HBO Max that enables real-time targeted customer experiences and dynamic business decisions. Our current data processing infrastructure is positioned for our next generation of technology.
We work with Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers to build reliability, performance and security into our streaming products. We champion infrastructure as code and strongly believe that automation is the key to delivering reliable systems.
- Play a key role in a team that designs, defines and executes end-to-end support and performance tuning of SQL and NoSQL databases for our DTC (Direct-to-Consumer) platform
- Participate in product direction and road-map planning, project execution scheduling, and hiring engineers to develop cutting-edge database services
- Build a world-class software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement
- Work with engineers on your team to define the next generation data architecture for our DTC streaming platform, HBO Max; including identifying gaps in the existing system and designing alternatives that are scalable, robust and easy to maintain
- Design, build and maintain the end-to-end of datastores in an Infrastructure-As-Code environment
- Participate in cross-functional data integration efforts as Data SME
- Collaborate with engineering teams and key stakeholders across the organization to continuously acquire new data, detect and fix data quality issues
- Propose and architect data solutions based on requirements
- Work as part of a team on scheduled and ad-hoc projects.
- Have 3+ years of strong experience with PostgreSQL
- Have a demonstrated ability to attract talent, build teams, be part of the team and have fun
- Have 3+ years of top-tier database development experience
- Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
- Strong programming experience with SQL, NoSQL. Databases tuning and optimization
- Strong knowledge of database architecture and administration
- • Have 3+ years of strong experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
The Nice to Haves
- Hands-on experience in automation processes for database creation, maintenance, and rebuild
- Experience working in Cloud data center environments
- Ability to identify key metrics and build resilient processes to detect and minimize issues
- Strong attention to detail and ability to identify downstream effects of design on data mining, business intelligence, and analysis
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- Media, entertainment, and/or games industry experience is a plus
- Familiarity with Log Aggregation systems (ex Splunk, ELK) and processing stream-based data (ex Kafka, Lambda etc)
- Experience with DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Experience working on or with a distributed team separated by time zones
- Broad exposure to AWS DB services
- Prior experience setting up JMX metrics, Prometheus or Graphite metrics as well as familiarity with Grafana for graphing and alerting
HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling.
WarnerMedia’s new streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max will also be home to key third-party library acquisitions, such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis, Ellen DeGeneres, and other visionaries. HBO Max launches in May 2020.