Product Development Manager
New Product Development
To say that we value innovation and creativity is an understatement. We want to foster your innovation and creativity while you partner with cross functional groups to design, develop, and implement engineering projects from concept stage to implementation. This role affords the opportunity to focus on our Motorized window coverings and the electronic systems and devices required for these products (including integrations with Amazon, Google, and Apple). You will contribute to overall product definition, architecture development, and system integration activities spanning software, firmware, electrical, and mechanical components.
Are you a mechanical or electrical engineer? Have you worked in a fast paced contract engineering firm? Do you have experience with electro-mechanical systems? Do you crave a technical challenge? Do you want the excitement of a start-up without the 60 hour work week, uncertain funding, and lack of benefits? If so, submit your resume now!
- Manages projects initiated through the strategic planning process. Coordinates engineering activities and staff in the development of new products and product enhancements. Participates and influences in the hiring, employee training, development, promotion and disciplinary action of engineering staff.
- Serves as a liaison between NPD, the motorization Product Management Department and other groups involved with the motorization of our products. Serves as a support liaison with marketing brand groups, Consumer Support and Technical Services to resolve field issues and to use gathered information to prioritize and successfully complete projects.
- Defines project scope, develops and manages schedule and budget, identifies needed resources, ensures projects are executed according to plan.
- Assists in the development of strategic planning for the business functions to meet and achieve business plan objectives.
- Define software and product design requirements.
- Ensure designs meet product requirements (functional, cost, quality, reliability, etc.) and that requirement risks are evaluated and mitigated early in the process. Lead problem-solving activities as necessary for fielded products or new product development.
- Provides input on developing innovative approaches and ideas to enhance and strengthen product lines. Collects and synthesizes information to identify opportunities for new products or product improvements.
- Researches new or alternative technologies for new products or product enhancements. Assists with troubleshooting PowerView and other motorized products. Researches and analyzes industry publications and attends trade shows showcasing competitor products. Works with marketing on analyzing market pricing and feature/ benefit analysis of HD product vs. competition.
- Conducts testing of prototypes according to guidelines. Analyzes test results for further design and prototype modification.
- Designs aluminum, plastic, steel or other components for new products and line extensions. Modifies existing products to insure manufacturing quality. Uses computer aided design software for three dimensional modeling to design tools for production use. Performs analysis of tolerance stackups to insure form, fit, and functionality.
- Performs some phases of prototype building or sources work to suppliers. Works cross functionally to develop ideas and troubleshoot component design issues. Determines preliminary assembly methods for components that have been designed.
- Involved with firmware and/or software developed within embedded electronic systems. Independently specifies components and qualifies suppliers of electronic components, cable assemblies, test fixtures and microprocessor code developers. Coordinates work performed by suppliers/consultants and reviews project progress and needs.
- Expert knowledge of project management. Including product platforms, project timelines, workload management and management of team members.
- Expert knowledge of the principles of team management and leadership.
- Solid knowledge of the properties of plastics, metals and resins as used in the manufacturing process.
- Solid knowledge and use of die casting, metal stamping, roll forming, aluminum and plastic extrusions and molding in the design of components.
- Solid knowledge and use of machine shop equipment such as a lathe and end mill.
- Solid knowledge in the area of mechanical engineering along with mechanical dynamics and statics.
- Solid knowledge of universal and standardized manufacturing test procedures.
- Solid knowledge of spatial reasoning in designing stand alone components or those working in conjunction with other components.
- Solid knowledge of conventional aspects of Electrical Engineering
- Solid knowledge of working with regulatory agencies such as, UL, FCC and CE
- Solid Knowledge of communication skills, particularly preparing written correspondence, justification of engineering projects and presentations to internal and external stakeholders
- Solid knowledge of product competition and what impact it has on the business
- Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as, Word, Excel, Power Point and CAD
- Solid knowledge of the principles of analog and digital circuits and embedded systems.
- Solid knowledge of the principles of printed circuit board layouts and conventions.
- Solid knowledge of, and experience working with, small motor drive systems.
- Ability to draw from first principles as well as precedents of electrical engineering in performing job functions.
- Ability to analyze cause and effect relationships involved with research and development activities.
- Ability to demonstrate an inquisitive initiative in performance of research and development work.
- Ability to deal with conflicting design requirements with creativity and innovation.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical blueprints and electrical schematics.
- Ability to take new products or line extensions from a concept through to development and introduction.
- Ability to conduct presentations before large groups.
- Skill in operation of computers and electronic test equipment at a proficient level.
- Basic knowledge of assembling electronic prototypes, including soldering, wire management, and use of power tools.
- Basic knowledge with C/C++ code for embedded systems
- Basic knowledge with report writing and proper documentation procedures used in research and development.
Acceptable Training and Experience
includes a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. An advanced degree preferred. 10 years previous engineering experience and 5-7 years leadership experience required.