Product Owner (Direct Hire)
With combined experience spanning over 40 years, The Doyle Group’s mission is to partner with our clients who seek strategic talent and to assist those candidates looking for their next career opportunity. We ensure the hiring process is transparent and timely offering an efficient experience. We look forward to working with you.
Our client, a nationwide real estate investment trust company, is seeking an experienced Product Owner to join a talented and growing product delivery team. This company leads all REITs in digitizing their business, creating differentiation through resident-facing applications and services, self-guided apartment home tours, and smart home technology offerings.
The Product Owner is responsible for setting, prioritizing, and evaluating the work generated by a Scrum team in order to ensure valuable and timely features and functionality of a product. You will help maintain focus of the project team on the “big picture” as they journey the SDLC process.
- Define, maintain and communicate vision and roadmap for current and future product development.
- Elicit ideas, feedback and input from multiple stakeholders within the business, including marketing, sales, operations and customer support.
- Stay in tune with customers, pursuing opportunities to gather input and feedback (positive and negative) from customers across the portfolio.
- Learn the market and business drivers of our client in order to align product features with business priorities.
- Write user stories and/or ensure stories have the right attributes and acceptance criteria – ensure stories are in alignment with business requirements, product vision, and architecture standards.
- Maintain product backlog, re-evaluating product needs and continually balancing priorities of the product across maintenance and strategic initiatives.
- Review product features as they are developed, providing feedback, guidance, and if needed, corrections to the feature as it proceeds through SDLC.
- Participate in Agile SDLC activities, including planning, refinement, stand-ups and retrospectives; support iteration planning and refinement of user stories; spotlight inter-dependencies among cross-product development teams to ensure seamless delivery.
- Ensure appropriate functional and non-functional requirements align, incorporated in the definition-of-done, and signed off prior to work beginning.
- Solve product-related problems, make decisions, complete trade-off analysis to stay on track towards business deliverable commitments.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years’ experience operating in an Agile software development team.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working as a Product Owner, creating, prioritizing and maintaining a product backlog.
- Experience working in Jira and related tools for test planning and tracking.
- Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Ability to develop requirements and user stories according to standard templates, using natural language.
- Must be comfortable discussing the product with a wide array of audiences – this means being able to summarize and extract key product features for those that need a high-level overview, while being able to dive into details when needed to support the actual development of a feature.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a variety of methods for communication, including flowcharts, dependency charts, tables and narratives in order to find the best tool for communication of product features.
- Must be skilled in focusing on desired results, determining what is important and urgent, and balance features and priorities accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and help stakeholders prioritize ideas and suggestions using analytical tools (e.g., support tickets, data reports), use case exploration and external market literature.
- Familiarity working in an Agile environment, and able to interact with a Scrum Master, development team, and QA team to keep them focused on the key success factors for a feature and for the product as a whole.
- Familiarity with SDLC in order to plan and guide features as the development team brings these features to completion, including participation and leadership through planning, refinement and sprint reviews.
- Able to drive cohesion across the team, but focused on desired features, while ensuring that each team member is able to contribute to the product’s goals.
- Familiar working within a SaaS environment, and APIs that handle and produce data for external applications, including an understanding of underlying database models and basic security concepts around 3rd party usage of public API endpoints.
- Familiar working on data science concepts, including data cleansing, and investigative techniques.