Harris County was founded in 1836 and is located in the Gulf Coast region of Texas approximately 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Harris County covers over 1700 square miles with over 4 million residents, making it the most populous county in Texas and third most populous in the United States.
The Harris County Universal Services (US) exists to support the mission of Harris County by developing, implementing and supporting high quality, innovative and cost-effective information technology solutions.
Harris County – Universal Services is currently seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to serve as the ambassador for the County's Broadband Strategic Plan & who is familiar with broadband infrastructure, including wired, wireless and satellite solutions. The focus of this position will be on working collaboratively with citizens, County staff and departments to communicate and work towards advancement of the County's Broadband Strategic Plan and to advance activities to improve broadband in Harris County & beyond This is a technical position, and there is a large element of policy development and community collaboration that is necessary.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Program oversight and coordination between internal County staff and external vendors, consultants, and stakeholders for ongoing broadband projects and the coordination of those activities, and effectively communicating status
- Create documentation to solicit stakeholder support
- Develop a communication plan to reflect the advancement of broadband through a variety of activities
- Cooperation with the County Precincts to develop governance for all aspects of broadband related projects and activities
- Recommend options for the use of the County's fiber network to address middle mile issues and for the advancement of wireless technologies and infrastructure in Harris County
- Provide strategic oversight for digital equity related issues including affordable broadband to low income and disadvantaged housing, telehealth, education, and employment services, and coordinating supporting initiatives across the County
- Identify resources and present analysis of possible vendors/projects that will address broadband needs in Harris County
- Write Requests for Proposals for the provision of wired and wireless broadband internet services
- Draft and recommend policy changes to support implementation, maintenance, and expansion of affordable broadband services
- Research and work with Grants Coordinator to explore and apply for broadband related grant
- Manage and lead complex programs and sub-projects with responsibility, accountability, and ownership of schedule, cost, resources, and risks.
- Develop close working relationship and alignment with all County departments & precincts
- Provide strong leadership, organization, and program management skills to the organization
- Support RFPs, bids, and proposals as needed • Leverage technical background to become subject matter expert for assigned programs • Present program status to external customers and internal executives as needed
- Gain a solid understanding of County capabilities and represent them to external and internal customers
- Periodic reviews to executive and internal stakeholders, accurately representing status, issues, and plans
- External reviews to customers representing status, issues, and plans
Bachelor's Degree 10 years of experience, demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of principles and practices related to broadband. Applicants should have a working knowledge of broadband legislation and franchise agreements, and a willingness to remain up to date on the changing landscape
Experience with broadband providers and equipment vendors is highly preferred.
- 8:00 am - 5:00 PM / M-F Day Shift
- May be required to work more than forty hours during the workweek and/or weekends or on-call 24 hours a day to meet special projects or deadlines.
Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check that includes being fingerprinted. This applies to any position with network access to CJI (Criminal Justice Information) systems or access to an area where CJI is received, maintained or stored either manually or electronically (i.e. custodian, maintenance).
- Convictions, probation, or deferred adjudication for any Felony, and any Class A Misdemeanor.
- Convictions, probation, or deferred adjudication for a Class B Misdemeanor, if within the previous 10 years.
- Open arrest for any criminal offense (Felony or Misdemeanor).
- Family Violence conviction.