The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) in La Jolla, CA has an immediate career opening for a Programmer/Analyst II. This opening is located at IDA's Center for Communications Research in La Jolla, California (CCR-L). IDA offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and a superior professional working environment. To the right individual, IDA offers the opportunity to have a major impact on key national programs while working on fascinating technical issues.
We are seeking a Programmer/Analyst II, who with moderate supervision, provides automation support. The incumbent, working either individually or as a team member, assists supported staff members in assessing and defining their data processing requirements. Analyzes, designs, develops, tests, implements and documents new application systems; modifies and enhances existing programs and systems; and provides system-related operational and database support. #ITatIDA
1. Works with the staff to identify, define and document the need for development, conversion or modification of limited scope application system software. Develops and proposes cost effective solutions. Uses tools, such as prototyping to define and interpret requirements and to document results.
2. Serves as project leader for development and maintenance of moderately complex software systems. Prepares requirements and design specifications; participates in design reviews; develops programs and systems; troubleshoots and corrects systems problems; performs comprehensive unit and limited system testing and prepares and maintains technical and user documentations per standard. Ensures compliance with configuration management.
3. Ensures compliance with configuration management procedures in all software-related activities.
4. In close coordination with the Database Administrator, maintains databases for one or more applications. Sets up new application users and privileges; ensures that the DBMS is configured to optimize application performance and capabilities. Designs and implements controls to protect data from unauthorized access.
5. Provides support of relatively simple, limited scope acquired systems that have minimal support or interface requirements. Acts as liaison between users and vendors for the installation and maintenance of new software releases and modifications. Assists vendors in identifying and isolating problems with their installed software, and installs and tests vendor updates and fixes. Participates in building custom interfaces to provide connectivity with other IDA systems. Ensures compliance with configuration management procedures in all software-related activities.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related field coupled with three years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least two years in programming OR high school diploma with five years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least two years in programming.
• Experience in analysis, design, development and implementation of computer systems.
• Experience in application development and programming languages such as perl, python, php or bash scripting.
• Must be organized, self-motivated and able to work with moderate supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form and with all levels of employees; possess good interpersonal skills.
• Must be willing to occasionally work hours outside of a regular schedule.
• Current TS/SCI with lifestyle polygraph clearance preferred.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
IDA is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a fair recruiting process and working environment free from discrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more about IDA's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.