Quality Assurance Lead
The Technology Quality Assurance Lead works to ensure software and infrastructure projects for the Credit Union are planned, developed and deployed with end-to-end quality standards and techniques. This professional supports strategic priorities and demonstrates a fanatical commitment to Member Experience by developing and driving a continuous improvement quality program that is consistent across all projects and products. They are responsible for test standards, procedures, metrics and tools. This person is proactive, focused and has a proven track record of leading QA teams to achieve outstanding results and will contribute as a tester as needed.
All Technology Team members are responsible for enhancing the capabilities and efficiencies of OCCU's applications and systems portfolio. In addition, team members possess and foster a culture of ownership from problem or opportunity identification to resolution and implementation.
- Build and maintain quality assurance and testing standards which support infrastructure and applications in the production environment and ensure that all changes to the production environment adhere to those standards.
- Establish an overall test plan and individual test suites specific to business needs for internet banking and ancillary systems.
- Manage the tracking, reporting and ongoing improvement of QA testing execution through Agile (Scrum) methodology.
- Define and enforce quality standards and processes across all testing types (regression, smoke, performance, UAT, etc.) and establish an enhancement and defect triage process.
- Effectively communicate ideas and processes using both written and verbal forms to executives, project sponsors, business units and staff.
- Identify and assign test resources to projects in alignment with QA plans and provide leadership to the test team during project execution.
- Work with application development teams to ensure testability of functions and applications.
- Understand how project objectives, infrastructure, software and technical elements are related, and why they are necessary to achieve project success.
- Participate in cross-functional discussions to promote the QA program and its associated emphasis on system quality as a core value in the OCCU culture.
- On behalf of the Technology department, authorize/approve test scenarios (including those developed by third parties), and ensure staff have a solid understanding of the QA approach.
- Advise and oversee external test resources and services to ensure they meet the standards, expectations and requirements of the Credit Union.
- Manage test schedules and execution, including those conducted by a third-party team. Manage and report on those activities.
- Design, manage and maintain data driven QA metrics with clear definitions and regularly review with management team members.
- Champion and drive improvements to Technology test effectiveness and efficiency, including identifying and creating business justification for testing tools and services that will increase efficiency and effectiveness of the QA process.
- Ensure collection, quality and archival of all test artifacts from planning to execution.
- Participate in go/no-go release decisions.
- Contribute to the development of the Credit Union’s technology strategy.
Functional Team Responsibilities:
- Develop test plans and scenarios specific to the Credit Union to ensure complete test coverage.
- Assist Application Developers and technical support staff in identifying and resolving defects.
- Provide test data requirements that support the implementation of test plans and procedures.
- Develop and implement the tools needed and write the supporting scripts to implement automation where possible.
- Write and maintain test scripts that can be integrated into an automated test environment.
- Run manual tests in areas where automation is not yet implemented or is not able to be implemented.
- Manage and maintain a regression test script library.
- Accurately determine, track and manage test tasks, activities, documentation and time information.
- Assist in analysis of requirements and user stories for detail and clarity. Participate in post-project analysis to identify and recommend test scope and test approach improvements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Stress tolerance – Maintain stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization. Key actions include maintaining focus, maintaining relationships and coping effectively.
- Technical/professional knowledge and skills – Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical, functional and/or professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keep up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise; leverage expert knowledge to accomplish results. Key actions include understanding technical terminology and developments, knowing how to apply a technical skill or procedure, knowing when to apply a technical skill or procedure and performing complex tasks in area of expertise.
- Adaptability – Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture). Adjust effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches and collaborating with others to make the change successful. Key actions include trying to understand changes, approaching change with a positive mind-set and adjusting behavior.
- Initiating action – Act promptly to accomplish work goals. Take action to achieve results beyond what is required. Be proactive. Key actions include responding quickly, taking independent initiative and going above and beyond.
- Planning and organizing – Establish an action plan for self to complete work efficiently and on time by setting priorities, establishing timelines and leveraging resources. Key actions include determining tasks and resources, staying focused and staying informed.
- Service excellence – Take actions and develop relationships necessary to meet and exceed internal and external member needs. Hold self and others accountable for providing a positive experience. Use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult situations and maintain or regain internal and external confidence. Key Actions include maintaining and enhancing self-esteem, seeking to understand member needs, meeting or exceeding member needs, encouraging involvement and confirming satisfaction.
- Follow all company policies and act as a role model to others in the following of these policies. This includes, but is not limited to, providing exceptional internal and external service, championing company values, representing the Credit Union with a high level of professionalism, working hard to support your teams and arriving to work on time every day with a positive attitude.
- Ensure that solutions maintain compliance with Credit Union and regulatory standards.
- Adhere to all documented standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Collaborate with peers in other business units.
- Deliver quality work within specified timelines.
- Self-motivated, highly organized and detail orientated, demonstrating ability to work both independently and in group settings.
- Organize workload to insure priority responsibilities are completed with quality and as scheduled.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding all sensitive, confidential and proprietary Credit Union information.
- Provide status updates to management and stakeholders regarding issues and progress.
- Anticipate service issues and determine root cause and potential solutions.
- Seven or more years of experience with quality assurance and testing of technology projects in a financial services institution.
- Prior experience leading external teams.
- Experience in test planning, test case design and manual test scripting and test automation.
- Successful track record of testing product integrations with custom-built software products, third party APIs and SSO.
- Experience working in an ITIL environment, particularly one supported using Service Now.
- Familiarity with development or test automation tools/frameworks (e.g. Cucumber / Gherkin, Selenium, SOAP-UI, HP ALM / QTP, JIRA, etc.).
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C, C++, C#, Java.
- Knowledge of SQL and scripting languages such as bash, Java script.
- Familiarity with Android / iOS test frameworks.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.