Description of Duties
• Successfully develops structured proposals for deals involving all energy commodity (i.e. power, gas, coal, emissions, etc.).
• Develops models that effectively assess and price the risks inherent in the transactions initiated by Marketers and Traders.
• Successfully identifies or screens opportunities while providing support to the activities of marketers when their activities involve market and/or operational risks.
• Identifies, analyzes and disaggregates each deal into the appropriate risk instruments and components.
• Perform commodity research and provide formal technical documentation
• Conducts valuations on RFP opportunities that span multiple commodities that are both physical and financial.
• Perform asset valuations using modeling techniques to determine option value and risk that takes into account operational characteristics of physical and financial assets.
• Support recommendations for proposals for energy commodity related transaction with statistical and / or market study analysis.
• Document analysis of any structured deals and hedges.
• Create and analyze reports against budget and regulatory treatments.
The Analyst position supports the Manager, Quantitative Analysis and Research by preparing various budget, risk monitoring, and portfolio tracking reports. The Analyst performs assigned task through the development and management of models by building and modifying various modeling techniques, such as production cost modeling, to determine option value, variance and risks associated to the power and/or fuel portfolio. The Analyst must also achieve and maintain a high level of understanding of regulatory treatments associated with the operations of the Generation Division and provide input and direction. The major challenge of the Analyst position is to develop analyses and issue results that are timely, accurate and effectively communicated with management.
Education & Experience
• BS in Finance, Business, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Economics or an equivalent with a strong emphasis in statistical analysis, finance, computer modeling and/or problem solving is required. A master’s degree or PHD in a technical field such as Finance, Business, Mathematics, Science or Engineering and/or certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) is preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years experience (Senior) or 10 years experience (Principal) working in energy or commodities trading, integrated resource planning, finance, origination marketing or system development is required.
• High-level quantitative, analytical skills with an understanding of complex financial and statistical quantitative methods.
• Effective oral and written communications skills are a must.
• Displays qualities that instill confidence in others to ask questions. Ability to coach others to balance smart risks and results.