What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a User-Interface Developer to enable synthetic biology efforts to produce renewable bioproducts for the benefit of society.
You will build a front-end interface for bioengineering tools that will enable predictable bioengineering for a sustainable bioeconomy. You will work in a multi-disciplinary team of bench scientists, automation engineers and software developers as part of the Agile BioFoundry (ABF). The ABF is a collaboration between Department of Energy National Laboratories designed to streamline and integrate synthetic biology tools that include software for biological design, machine learning algorithms, and high-throughput analytics,.
You will be part of a small multi-disciplinary team who are passionate about our mission. We need a driven developer who can engage with colleagues and prove themselves a valuable addition to our team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
* Work as part of a team to maintain and extend the functionality of web-based synthetic biological software tools including the Design Implementation Verification Automation platform (DIVA);
* Show independence in design, development, and implementation of software components in a fast-paced and creative environment;
* Work closely with computational scientists, biologists, and chemists to improve usability and interoperability with other informatics systems;
* Publicly present work, keep a record of activities, and work on scientific manuscripts.
Qualifications We Require
* Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline and experience with independent research and development; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
* Experience with version control systems such as: Git, Mercurial, Subversion.
Qualifications We Desire
* Experience working as part of a team of experts including software developers and/or scientists or on multi-disciplinary teams;
* Basic familiarity with Unix/Linux environment;
* Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
* Significant user interface design experience;
* Significant experience working in Java or Python;
* Experience with automated unit testing, particularly for user interfaces;
* Experience with issue tracking systems such as: JIRA, Trac, FogBugz, Bugzilla or other issue tracking system.
* Docker experience.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
About Our Team
The Agile Biofoundry (ABF) is a collaboration between Department of Energy National Laboratories created to help usher in the future bioeconomy. The focus of the ABF is to reduce the cost and time to market for novel bioproducts, such as biofuels and commodity chemicals, that can be produced more safely, efficiently, and with less environmental impact than from traditional sources such as petroleum. To achieve these goals, the ABF integrates synthetic biology tools including software for biological design, machine learning, high-throughput analytics, techno-economic and life-cycle analyses.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation-s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
* Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
* Extraordinary co-workers
* Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
* Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
* Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.