What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation-s security?
Are you passionate about research related to the development of physical vapor deposition (PVD) thin films and coatings? If so, consider applying to join our PVD team, you could be the staff member we are seeking. You will have the opportunity to perform inter-disciplinary research that couples materials science, process science, and high vacuum technology. You will also interact and collaborate with other inter-disciplinary research groups within Sandia on a wide variety of research opportunities and mission related projects.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
* Apply fundamental physical, and chemical principles to create thin films to meet customer needs.
* Develop and conduct research programs involving thin films, vacuum systems, characterization of films, and related technologies.
* Develop technical solutions to challenging problems usually working as part of a team
* Interact with a variety of customers.
Qualifications We Require
* Advanced Degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related discipline plus a bachelor's in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM).
* Two or more years- relevant experience
* Experience with materials and process characterization techniques, and process-structure-property relationships
* Experience with Sputtering and/or Evaporation Deposition Techniques
* Good communication skills as evidenced by a history of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at appropriate scientific conferences
* Able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
* Experience with ALD, HiPIMS, and/or Reactive Deposition
* Knowledge of functional coatings technology including electrical, optical, and tribological
* Hands-on experience with custom built sputtering, evaporation, and vacuum systems
* Possess a current DOE Clearance at L or Q level or equivalent
* Experience using CAD programs to design masks and fixtures, e.g. SolidWorks
* Experience maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting PVD systems
* Experience writing proposals and obtaining funding to conduct research
* Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related STEM discipline
* Excellent communication skills
About Our Team
The Coatings and Additive Manufacturing Department provides scientific and engineering expertise in the areas of thin films, thermal spray deposition, cold spray deposition, vacuum system/component fabrication, laser machining and surface modification, precision engineering, and additive manufacturing for the Laboratories. Over 25 elements as well as numerous compounds and alloys can be deposited by sputter deposition and electron beam evaporation. Thin film properties can also be characterized. Precision engineering includes the design and fabrication of miniature and meso-scale devices, electrical discharge machining (EDM), diamond and laser machining, laser etching, micro-metrology, as well as technical consulting. Additive manufacturing encompasses both direct write (aerosol ink jet printing, extrusion casting, and conformal printing) and metal additive (powder bed and LENS). Our staff supports a variety of programs and is highly engaged in providing collaborative, innovative materials science and systems-based engineering solutions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation-s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
* Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
* Extraordinary co-workers
* Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
* Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
* Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.