Description Job Description:
The Defense Group of Leidos has a career opportunity for a talented, Lead DevOps Engineer to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command. The Lead DevOps Engineer will provide input and expertise to senior engineers to maintain alignments with best practices and recommending system improvements while overseeing the automated deployment, roll-back, and monitoring of applications into software development, test, and production environment. This individual is expected to be a thought leader with respect to DevOps trends and technologies and mentor fellow DevOps engineers.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander's guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander's guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
The program intends to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, update the AFATDS front-end to a modern look and feel smart client interface, and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator initiated system instruction and refresher training.
This position is virtual/100% telework optionPrimary Responsibilities
- Support the product development and full waterfall development life cycle of platform architectural design, deployment and debugging (knowledge of Agile is a plus)
- Lead team of up to 15 engineers to establish, implement and manage the environment responsible for a release pipeline to enable fast, but safe delivery of mission critical software to deployment with US Army and other Forces
- Develop and maintain sound version control best practices-based CM systems (GIT), including branching and merging strategies
- Ability to automate release deployments across development, test, staging, Quality Assurance and production stacks using a combination of scripting languages and other automation toolkits
- Maintain / upgrade / patch tracking and documentation software (Confluence / Jira)
- Create, assist, and/or implement design and maintenance of staged software deployments
- Identify processes and capabilities that can be streamlined and automated
- Leverage programming languages such as C+/#, Ada and Java (U)
- Set up and configure a continuous integration environment by leveraging Configuration Management, containerization, serverless technologies, and Kubernetes
- Architect and develop best practices for software build tools (Gradle, Maven, ANT, Shell) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Bamboo), and infrastructure automation (Amazon Web Services, VMWare, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- BS Degree or higher is required in either Engineering (i.e. Computer, Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.) or Computer Science with a minimum of twelve (12) years of related experience.
- Ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance (US Citizenship is required)
- Fluency with GitLab, SonarQube, Gradle, Nexus, Harbor, Anchore, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Linux environments (RHEL 6/7/8, RHCSA/RHCE, CentOS)
- 10+ years working in an Waterfall and Agile dev environment
- 10+ years of system architecture required with a demonstrated ability to read the code and understand the coding logic to assist in troubleshooting
- 10+ years' experience managing/monitoring AWS cloud and virtualized servers for optimal performance while working in a Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment
- Proficient with DevOps methodologies including RMF and DoD Safety considerations
- Experience integrating Jenkins/Bamboo, Docker, and Kubernetes for automated deployment preferred
- Experience with caching technologies (Memcache, Active MQ, Redis, APC, etc.)
- Experience with PostgreSQL and PMySQL (Clusters, Replication, and Tuning) and Elasticsearch (Kibana a plus)
- Knowledge of security practices, networking protocols, firewalls, PCI compliance, etc.
- Familiarity with software development life cycle models, waterfall, agile, and DevOps programming methodologies
- Fluent skills in object oriented programming and experience in at least one programming language, such as Java, Ada, C, C++, C#, etc.
- Experience with Windows system administration, system monitoring, instrumentation, resiliency and performance
- Experience acquiring in-depth understanding of large complex software systems to isolate defects, reproduce defects, assess risk, and understand varied customer deployments
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills, including the ability to logically create structure and order from unstructured inputs.
- Self-starter that is able to work independently while possessing the communication skills to work effectively with software development teams, customers, and senior Leidos leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
External Referral Bonus:
- Experience with RMF in a software development environment is strongly preferred
- Experience in applying Security and Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) to software technologies
- Experience with standards NIST 800-171 / 800-53 and Mil-Std-882E.
- Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE), VMF messaging or other PMO systems
- Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
EligibleExternal Referral Bonus $:
$5,000Potential for Telework:
Yes, 100%Clearance Level Required:
NoScheduled Weekly Hours:
Software EngineeringPay Range:
Pay Range $110,500.00 - $170,000.00 - $229,500.00