The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Electronics and Sensors Division (ESD) is a world-class engineering and scientific leader in electronics and remote sensing systems. The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department (ISDAD) resides within ESD. Our staff support passive electro-optical remote sensing payload development and test with design, modeling and simulation, and analysis. Our expertise, combined with sophisticated in-house laboratories, prototyping, modeling, and simulation capabilities, enables ISDAD to deliver innovative solutions to national space systems and civil customers. What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- Supporting the Department of Defense, especially the Air Force Space and Missile Center (SMC) and the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) on a wide variety of projects, from rapid-development prototypes through Class A satellites and from pre-proposal phases through on-orbit support.
- Leveraging commercial and in-house software tools to perform rigorous modeling and simulation of radiometry, wavefront propagation and sensing, diffraction effects, stray light, and sensor performance for passive electro-optical sensor systems including visible and infrared imagers and spectrometers.
- Supporting the development of new remote sensing concepts with modeling and simulation, including the development of technical performance requirements and in the assessment of proposed designs.
- Working independently and collaborating with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems.
- Operating as part of a highly skilled and flexible team. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned as needed.
How You Can Stand Out
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or another related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience performing physics-based modeling and simulation, either in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated experience using a common processing language (e.g. MATLAB, Python, IDL, C/C++, Fortran) to implement solutions to problems in remote sensing.
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills relating to the performance of passive remote sensing electro-optical visible and infrared sensors, including topics such as: radiometry, radiative transfer, wavefront propagation and sensing, diffraction effects, detection theory, sensor performance metrics, and visible and infrared backgrounds.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel.
- Willing to travel domestically on an infrequent basis, approx. 2-5%.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Graduate degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or another related discipline.
- A total of 8+ years of experience performing optical system modeling and simulation, either in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and mentoring of junior staff.
- Experience using common codes to calculate atmospheric transmission as it relates to electro-optical radiometry (e.g. MODTRAN).
- Experience in phase retrieval techniques for optical system analysis.
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement