Description Job Description:
Leidos's Biobehavioral Sciences Lab Research Unit has an opening for a Research Associate. The Research Associate will perform laboratory and/or field experimental work, undertake research projects in collaboration with government and contract principal investigators, and make innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory and/or field experimental procedures. The primary responsibility for the Research Associate is to conduct research studies with a focus on physiology and performance as it relates to military tactical athletes, exercise physiology, and military performance in laboratory and field-based environments.Primary Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Recruit, obtain informed consent, screen, select, and collecting data from active duty, wounded warrior, and civilian populations for human subjects research protocols.
- Collect physiological, cognitive, and health data from human subjects, abiding by human research protection regulations.
- Set up, operate, and maintain laboratory equipment such as Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry, and field equipment such as mobile biosensors and other technologies.
- Conduct protocol driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine.
- Establish procedures to collect, input, organize, and manage data from all laboratory testing instruments, creating solutions to integrate data from stand-alone systems into one database and data analysis system. Conduct data management and analysis using these systems.
- Independently collect, process, analyze, and report on study data including cognitive performance, and other forms of physical and behavioral performance data.
- Prepare experimental subjects, set up experimental equipment, and lead training of experimental subjects for experimental procedures in accordance with approved human use protocols.
- Perform supporting duties in the data collection process, including but not limited to, survey administration, collection of saliva or blood samples, strength testing and administration of graded exercise tests.
- Perform administrative and clerical tasks, including but not limited to, inventory of laboratory supplies/equipment and author standard operating procedures and lab instructions for equipment use and maintenance.
- Create and maintain databases for research projects, identify missing data points and create methods for analyzing data with missing data points, conduct statistical analyses, and write up project results.
- Conduct technical/scientific writing to generate standard operating procedures and protocol development, journal publications, conference abstracts and presentations, technical reports, and other written deliverables to the customer.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required for the customer research mission.
- Maintain professionalism during all interactions with the investigators, subjects, and other BSL/NHRC staff and attend lab meetings.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, physiology, exercise science, psychology, or a related scientific field from an accredited college or university. Two or more years of professional experience is required.
- Working knowledge of the scientific method and direct experience in research activities.
- Ability to interpret published scientific literature and conduct systematic literature reviews.
- Must be a critical thinker, a quick learner and have the ability to work independently as well as within a diverse team.
- Must have superb time management and organizational skills, great attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work.
- Strong computer skills and experience with software such as MS Access, Excel, Word, and other programs for the PC; able to operate and troubleshoot, as necessary, laboratory machinery that is computer controlled.
- Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.ship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET government security clearance.
External Referral Bonus:
- Master's degree in biology, physiology, exercise science, psychology, or a related scientific field from an accredited college or university.
- Significant experience conducting skinfold measurements for body composition.
- Working knowledge and experience using SPSS.
- Certification by nationally recognized entities for strength and conditioning, exercise physiology, etc.
EligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
NoScheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.