The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Virginia, School of Medicine is seeking applications for the position of a Research and Operational Data Analyst.
The Data Analyst will apply analytic approaches, statistics, machine learning and database management skills to support the clinical mission of the Department of Anesthesiology and the School of Medicine. The Data Analyst will be responsible for performing routine and ad-hoc reporting and data analysis functions to support the clinical and administrative needs of the department. The data analyst will also support the growing research and associated data science needs of the department. This will involve working with large medical databases, maintaining data dictionaries and performing analysis of information and identify, interpret, and report the trend or patterns found in data sets.
The Data Analyst must be able to work independently on a variety of tasks related to reporting, such as running scheduled and ad hoc reports, writing and executing SQL queries, and preparing / formatting data for further analysis. The ideal candidate must possess good organizational skills, attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
- Run, validate and organize various customer reports
- Prepare and distribute reports to management, physicians and other stakeholders
- Summarize data in Excel and prepare basic analyses
- Run canned SQL queries, validate results and format/prepare data in Excel
- Utilize SQL to mine for data in the Health System data warehouse
- Manage large and complex longitudinal study databases and maintaining detailed data dictionaries
- Clean data
- Perform descriptive and statistical analyses
- Ensure high quality data is collected for analysis and continually verify integrity of the data within the research arena.
- Identify errors and determine the best course of action to correct and prevent error going forward.
- Perform analysis of information and identify, interpret, and report the trends or patterns found in data sets. Develop recommendations based on findings.
- Synthesize data analysis by creating graphs, reports, and presentations of results in order to make strategic and programmatic decisions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Multi-task and work independently.
- Work with high attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Design and implement novel data analyses preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), R and/or Statistical Analysis System (SAS ) and/or Python
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor's degree, relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Preference will be given to candidates with a master's degree in Public Health of Data Science
- One year of experience with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft SQL, Tableau is required
- Ability to write T-SQL queries using MS SQL Server Management Studio
- Ability to build dashboards using Tableau Desktop
- Proficiency with R, SAS or equivalent statistical software
- Build & deploy machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills required
- Experience with healthcare databases and clinical terminology desired, but not required
This position is located in Charlottesville, VA. Most of the work will be completed remotely with intermittent periods in the office.
The anticipated start date is Summer 2022. This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon project need, availability of funding and performance. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. For more information on the benefits at UVA, visit hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
This position will remain open until filled. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. A completed pre-employment health screen is required for this position prior to employment.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physicians Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.