The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
The Space Development Agency (SDA) was established in 2019 by the Department of Defense to define and monitor the Department's future threat-driven space architecture and accelerate the development and fielding of new military space capabilities necessary to ensure our technological and military advantage in space for national defense.
Aerospace support for SDA resides within Defense Systems Operations and the National Space Systems Engineering Division, which provides decision support at the enterprise level to senior Aerospace customers in the Pentagon, as well as helping to connect and align customers and Aerospace across the space enterprise. This position supports SDA's Ground team , for which the selected candidate will provide e xpertise in ground systems development, space-to-ground and ground-to-space networks, systems engineering , performance evaluation, acquisition oversight, and ground operations planning across the SDA constellations and spacecraft vendors to ensure successful operations of the National Defense Space Architecture (NDSA). What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- The SDA Tranche-1 (T1) Ground Operations and Integration (O&I) Program Manager (PM) is the primary customer. The PM is responsible for managing the acquisition of the overall Ground system to support the T1 operations network. The PM leads a team of approximately 50 Government, FFRDC, SETA, and UARC personnel.
- T he Ground PM and his team are responsible for managing the acquisition of the overall Ground system to support the T1 operations network and directing the efforts of the primary Ground contractor . The primary contractor has responsibility for procuring ground antennas, developing the operations centers, designing the ground and space network command and control software, and planning and executing subsystem and end-to-end systems testing.
- This job helps to ensure successful development of the T1 Ground system and its introduction into operations by assisting the SDA Ground PM with overall acquisition of the system and management of the primary contractor . The Ground PM reports to the SDA Chief of Launch and Ground Systems, who in turn reports directly to the SDA Director. This job includes daily interaction with SDA senior leaders, FFRDCs, SETAs, and UARC personnel across all the SDA program Cells (Divisions) and mission areas.
- The NDSA constellation will provide enormous resiliency in communications, sensing , and precision navigation in defense of the United States . The Ground system provides the command and control functions necessary to enable these activities. T1 includes Transport (communications) satellites and Tracking (missile tracking) satellites, as well as Ground and Launch segments, as part of the NDSA. Future Tranches are planned to include updated Transport and Tracking satellites and partner payloads.
- The primary function of this role is to assist the SDA Ground PM with overall acquisition of the system and management of the primary contractor . The successful applicant will provide systems engineering support to the Ground team in developing and testing the Ground network and provide program management support in the oversight of the primary Ground contractor. This position provides ground systems engineering expertise to guide contract execution and performance assessments, and includes participation in design reviews, technical baseline management , operations planning, and follow-on Ground systems requirements definition. Further, the successful applicant will participate in Segment and Program technical design reviews, review technical documentation ( e.g. CONOPS, ICD's, test plans, etc.) , and lead Aerospace Independent Review Teams (IRTs). This role will also lead various ETG reachback teams for ad hoc technical activities and anomaly support . Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned as needed.
- Employ strategic planning principles across the T1 Ground functions to enable the results of ground segment development activities to support the planned launch dates and completion of satellite early on-orbit checkouts , leading to full mission operations Apply lessons learned and commercial best practices and systems engineering principles to rapidly develop the T1 ground system to maintain the schedule for bringing T1 into operation
How You Can Stand Out
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics field , or extensive relevant work experience, is required. An advanced degree is preferred
- 12 or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience
- Relevant, progressive work experience in satell ite ground system development, ground operations, systems architecture design, and performance assessment is required
- Knowledge of acquisition processes and a willingness to adjust them to best support SDA's 2 - year cycle acquisition efforts
- Candidates should be able to lead, work, and communicate effectively as part of a team in a fast - paced, dynamic environment, react ing quickly and provid ing products of consistent ly high quality
- High interest, enthusiasm, and motivation in addressing future national security space challenges is required
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead cross-functional high-performance teams is required
- Ability to build and/or maintain substantive rapport with Aerospace peers , SETA personnel, and government customers (to include senior government leaders) is required
- Demonstrated ability to influence outcomes utilizing objective facts is required
- Ability to work with the Aerospace Engineering Technology Group (ETG) matrix and other Aerospace program offices is required
- Experience in systems engineering, risk assessment, and trade space exploration studies is required
- Experience directly interfacing with customers and delivering comprehensive assessment products is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are necessary , including the ability to organize complex materials and concepts in a manner that is clear and logical
- Willing to travel domestically approx imately 1 5 % of the time , including some international travel
- This position requires a TS/SCI s ecurity clearance, which is issued by the US government
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- A Masters or PhD degree from an accredited program in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics field
- 1 5 or more years of experience in Ground systems and spacecraft systems acquisition, development , and risk assessment
- K nowledge of DoD, IC, Civil, and Commercial missions and technologies with m ultidisciplinary experience , including spacecraft and ground concept design and operation
- Direct experience working with SDA and a working knowledge of the SDA architecture, functional Cells, and leadership interactions
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation. Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .