LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY, NO 3RD PARTY
A database developer to work closely with the Alpha Research team, Portfolio Construction and software teams in maintaining and enhancing an equity investment platform. Innovative research plays a central role in the co’s investment philosophy and is an essential component of the firm’s ability to deliver attractive investment solutions. Although overall scope and charter is long term, individual project work will tend to be ad hoc in nature.
Current systems use Python, SQL, and R, so an understanding and experience of these and related tools will be necessary with the ability and capacity to assess other software systems and processes that will improve the environment. Individual needs to be independent, communicative, and mature enough to work in a fast-paced environment. Overall background and academic foundation should reflect understanding of capital markets and best software engineering practices.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and enhance the data platform that underpins our equity investment platform. Develop new ETL streams, curate data, and facilitate adoption of the common data platform
- Develop/enhance API services to expose data to consumers
- Troubleshoot data issues, fix bugs, apply data fixes
- Participate on a support rotation with the rest of the team for our daily batch cycles
- Rewrite/refactor legacy code written in R or other languages to make more efficient use of the data platform and reduce redundant data access
- Optimize database and queries for the most efficient (speedy) data access
- 5-7 years of industry experience in a data-centric development role
- Must have experience developing an OLTP or Data Warehouse – from data acquisition, transformation, federation, and quality checks. Ability to write “pure” SQL without GUI’s or other tools.
- Ability to work in a fluid hands-on environment.
- Experience in a dev ops role is preferred, as this role is very dynamic and often requires team members to participate across the entire SDLC
- Intellectually curious; reasonably fluent in financial products.
- Experience with GIT or similar source control
- Experience in a Linux environment is a plus
- Overall background and Academic foundation should reflect understanding of capital markets and best software engineering practices.
- CFA, or in pursuit of CFA preferred.