As a Database Engineer, you will establish yourself as a trusted technologist by helping ensure overall satisfaction. Product Development and Product Management will rely on you to provide database optimization strategies for the solutions that the client provides. It is crucial that you become an advocate for our internal clients, our operating model and technology strategies, as you will be responsible for engineering automated methods of database management that drive inherent cost-effective efficiencies.
You will represent the business unit as a designated database engineer for assigned projects. You should be comfortable creating and reviewing complex code and documentation across many disparate technologies, with a strong knowledge of cloud-enabled development and an aspiration to quickly understand complex proprietary infrastructure architecture. Your responsibility is to engineer and maintain methods of optimization in managing performance-oriented data structures for supported applications. This role will work closely with project teams to ensure performance testing requirements are completed and the results meet client expectations.
This role must manage diverse system platforms and product lines and be able to adapt quickly to unfamiliar technologies. It is critical that you continually learn and maintain current knowledge of Solutions and industry-standard development practices and technologies to provide optimal database engineering strategies for various solutions. At times, you will be called upon to prioritize and drive resolution on escalated incidents or problems that occur in production.
You will be a key resource to drive efficiencies through process improvements while developing repeatable automated database optimization methodologies.
A key characteristic in the success of this role will be technical aptitude. The creation of new, and the maintenance of the existing automated database engineering toolsets, requires programming experience. It is critical that you know how to leverage CI/CD pipeline technologies such as Ansible and Jenkins in developing database optimization playbooks that drive optimal application performance. You must also exercise strong problem-solving skills with limited assistance.
You will become a Subject Matter Expert for the products assigned to you and a “Go To” technical resource for standard quality assurance best practices. This will bring a great sense of accomplishment for you personally in achieving the goals of the organization and most importantly our clients.
Basic Qualifications for Consideration:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 3+ years of relevant work experience OR a High School diploma and 7+ years of professional relevant work experience
Job Related Experience:
• Experience and strong understanding of database systems with experience designing and tuning bases in Microsoft SQL, MySQL, IBM DB2 LUW, Oracle, Progress, etc.
• Successful track record of root cause discovery, analytical thinking and problem solving
• Must be able to understand the needs of businesses and develop solutions that cater to such needs
• Work independently and prioritize time and projects appropriately
• Think outside of the box to come up with creative solutions to ensure efficient and timely performance assurance
• Handle multiple projects effectively while continually delivering exceptional quality
• Evaluate and improve existing live database systems to obtain improved response, capacity and extended functionality
• Assist with performance oriented design of database system, schemas, and objects for new products
• Design tests for various business-driven database scenarios that demonstrate performance response/capacity and quantify/analyze the performance results
• Provide resource requirements for a given capacity or load scenario based on test results or production analysis.
• Perform complex query analysis, tuning, and schema refinement
• Design and develop database objects, tables, indexes, stored procedures, views, triggers, etc.
• Outline recommendations for performance-oriented database strategies and assist in the definition of database development standards and efficiencies.
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Education:
• Experience designing and engineering solutions that use database technologies including Microsoft SQL, MySQL, IBM DB2 LUW, Oracle, Progress, etc.
• Certifications related to database administration, database management, database engineering, etc.
• Experience with database administration tasks (database backup/restore operations, updating statistics, rebuilding and reorganizing indexes, scheduling tasks, automation, etc.)
• Experience in database performance tuning at the query level including but not limited to complex query, procedure, view and index design and optimization
• Experience in database performance tuning at the DBMS level including but not limited to partitioning, block settings, transactional log settings, and other DBMS performance settings.
• Experience in database performance tuning at the system level, including but not limited to server design, NUMA configuration, partitioning, storage/disk design and settings.
• Experience in using transactional/dynamic SQL profilers/monitors, evaluating execution plans, and instance\database performance monitoring.
• Experience in using system level monitors such as Perfmon
• Experience in the complete software development lifecycle including associated deployment methodologies, QA processes, and performance tuning efforts