SQL Server Database Administrator
The Database Administrator will be responsible for performing maintenance and some development tasks in a structured team environment for a DoD client in Bethesda Maryland.
The SQL Server Database Administrator is part of a team responsible for maintaining the availability and performance of intranet applications and web presence to include Microsoft SQL Server 2008r2 and 2012 database servers. Experience in supporting Data Warehouse environments with BI & ETL experience is a huge plus.
This position will focus on the maintenance of robust, scalable database structures and queries. The administrator will provide maintenance and management support for a SQL Server 2008r2 and 2012 environments and assist with future upgrades to approved SQL Server releases. The candidate will have experience developing and implementing database solutions to support business requirements; resolving technical issues through debugging, research, and investigation; writing and fixing code; testing and implementing database backups, restores and upgrades.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of multiple development teams. The data warehouse supports an enterprise application suite of program management tools. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Assist developers with the creation and maintenance of robust, scalable database code.
- Enforce SQL standards and guidelines.
- Install SQL Server Failover Cluster and configure.
- Assist with managing database size and scalability.
- Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing database performance and trends.
- Assist with the testing of database hardware and software upgrades.
- Accomplish department and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed; and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS and EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of Database Maintenance and Administration of SQL Server 2008.
- TSQL, Performance Tuning, SSIS Packages, Clustering, Replication, Database Links, Maintenance Plan / SQL Job usage.
- Experience with complicated database organizational structures, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to understand user requests and translate them into technical requirements.
- Experience documenting new and existing processes as well as updating existing documentation when changes are necessary.
- Programming: Classic ASP, C#, Java, MicroSoft.NET, Tableau, Informatica, HTML
- Knowledge of medical data processing
- Configuring SQL Server according to DoD STIG.
Education/Training and Certification:
- Current Secret Clearance is required. CompTIA SECURITY + Certification required within 6 months of start date
- MCDBA certification is a plus