Want an exciting career at NASA and help the public to better understand our Solar System through science?
The Solar System Exploration Division (SSED) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) located in Greenbelt, Maryland has positions open for Outreach Coordinator.
The Solar System Exploration Division conducts theoretical and experimental research to explore the solar system and understand the formation and evolution of planetary systems. Laboratories within the Division investigate areas as diverse as astrochemistry, planetary atmospheres, extrasolar planetary systems, earth science, planetary geodynamics, space geodesy, and comparative planetary studies.
More Information about the SSED can be found at science.gsfc.nasa.gov/solarsystem/
The duties of this position include:
- Planning and execution of events, programs, and social media campaigns to engage and inform the public about Goddard's work in the area of planetary science and exploration
- Collaborations with GSFC scientists involved in GSFC's public engagement efforts
- Serve as a resource to members of the public and stakeholder groups who want to learn more about the SSED planetary science and exploration efforts
- Production of written SSED-relevant content for websites, e-books, social media, exhibits, and other, related, social media products
- Engagement with GSFC scientists and Communications staff on citizen science projects
- Coordination and engagement with other GSFC organizations, NASA Headquarters, NASA Centers and JPL to coordinate public engagement projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical, Earth or Space science, or Journalism, Communication, or Education, with at least some science coursework
- 2+ years' experience in communicating science with non-scientists
- 2+ years' experience in social media supporting the social media presence of an organization, with experience leading a communications campaign with a focus on social media
- Ability to work independently as well as within interdisciplinary teams
- Exemplary organizational skills and careful attention to detail
- Time management skills to balance multiple projects at once
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in working with internal collaborators and external customers
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite
- Must be US citizen or Permanent Resident
- Master's degree in Physical, Earth or Space science, or Journalism, Communication, or Education, with at least some science coursework
- Experience in developing and supporting the social media presence of an organization
- Experience in science or technical writing for the public
- Experience in copyediting and/or proofreading, and knowledge of AP Style
- Experience planning or implementing public engagement events or communication campaigns
- Experience in designing and/or participating in citizen science programs
- Experience with graphic design and design software (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Experience in developing videos or other broadcast-quality content