SS096 Science Outreach and Logistics Coordinator
The Solar System Exploration Division at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD seeks public engagement and project outreach support for several planetary science missions and research teams. The ideal candidate will have exceptional organizational skills, and will enthusiastically learn about and share the work of NASA Goddard's people and projects with the public in a variety of settings. We seek a highly motivated, proactive individual who has the ability to work independently as well as within a collaborative, interdisciplinary team.Key Responsibilities:
- Work with NASA scientists and educators to support programs and develop new resources that share NASA planetary science with students and the public
- Stay up-to-date on scientific discoveries from your projects through meetings, conferences, publications, and proactive internal communications with scientists
- Share planetary science research and discoveries with the public at outreach events, through social media, website content, and other written communications
- Provide support for scientists engaged in public outreach activities
- Coordinate and arrange travel for scientific field expeditions to remote locations, including lodging, transportation, and meals
- Coordinate shipping of sensitive scientific equipment
- A Bachelor's degree in science, education, journalism, communications, and/or a related field
- Excellent organizational skills
- Interest in planetary science
- A desire to communicate science with the public
- Strong writing/editing and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- The ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions
- 0-3 years experience in geology, astronomy, or a related science
- Experience in planning events or large meetings
- Familiarity with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Experience teaching others, defined broadly
In lieu of a cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Describe a project or experience that demonstrates your strong organizational skills.
- Describe a time when you taught someone a new concept. How did you do it? What were the challenges you faced? How did you overcome them?
- What appeals to you about a career in planetary science public engagement and project support at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center?