By trade we are a technology company, but if you ask anyone that works here, they'll tell you we are a people company. AvidXchange is the industry leader in automating invoice and payment processes for mid-market businesses. Founded in the year 2000, AvidXchange processed 9.5 million payments last year across its network of more than 500,000 suppliers, transforming the way 5,500 customers in North America pay their bills. AvidXchange is distinguished as a global fintech unicorn and one of the fastest growing technology companies in the U.S. with 1,300 employees in seven office locations. Our employees live by our core values, including "Innovate to Change the Game," "Passion about Customer Success," "Win as a Team," "Play to our Strengths," and "Have a Blast." We are on a mission to create something different at AvidXchange. Come join the team!
The SVP of Engineering is a mission-critical member of AvidXchange's senior leadership team. This person is responsible for the creation, improvement, and life-cycle management of software that is the essence of our success in the B2B Procure-to-Pay space. This person will lead and scale the engineering team and their practices to deliver with high quality at an accelerating velocity. This can only be accomplished by building and creating a high-performance, business-oriented technology team. The Engineering group includes teams that are responsible for both front-end and backend components of our SaaS and Data Platform services and must partner closely with Product Management and Technology Operations. This role will be directly responsible for software design and solution architecture, software engineering, quality engineering, and DevOps for all software development.
• Lead technology planning activities to align engineering priorities to business goals.
• Collaborate with the appropriate departments to develop and maintain a technology plan that supports organizational needs.
• Partner with Product Management to define aggressive, but achievable product roadmaps, with commitment to delivery.
• Partner with SVP Technology Operations to plan, deploy and manage newly developed features and solutions
• Partner with CTO and Innovation team to incorporate newly incubated technologies into the stack and build a
Technology vision and roadmap.
• Effectively manage department budget to support attainment of software portfolio P&L objectives.
• Anticipate and react to major technology changes to ensure the maintenance of company leadership in the competitive landscape.
• Maintain a culture of continuous improvement with a focus on being a best in class product delivery organization.
• Maintain a culture of delivering on-time, on-scope, on-budget, and on-quality.
• Fully accountable for software quality and on-time delivery.
• Lead the team in enforcing standard practices that enhance maintainability and reliability of software across the product line.
• Attract, develop and retain a high performing team, offering ongoing feedback, professional growth opportunities, and overall career guidance.
• Provide coaching, direction and leadership support to teammates in order to achieve teammate, department, company and customer results.
• Challenge and inspire teammates to achieve and deliver business results.
• Enable a culture of innovation to deliver market differentiating solutions.
• Mentor department leaders in the full spectrum of: strategy, planning, SDLC, people management and cross-functional collaboration.
• Manage a team of highly skilled teammates by directing department activities to design new products, modify existing designs, design for supportability, and develop testing designs and procedures.
• Develop Operational metrics and dashboards that provide visibility into how the engineering teams are performing, and present these to the executive team and board.
• Be an integral member of our Senior Operations leadership team and provide cross functional leadership to other departments.
- Minimum 10 years in leadership roles of increasing responsibility and scope managing engineers and engineering managers in highly complex product and platform delivery environments.
- Directly managed engineering groups larger than 100 people.
- A highly evolved engineering mindset that emphasizes creativity, code quality, speed to market, and continuous improvement.
- A business-oriented technologist that balances technical elegance with market-delivery requirements.
- Demonstrated track record of developing cultural norms attributes that are essential to high-performing engineering teams (delivery reliability, personal accountability, peer-to-peer learning, 'right things done the right way').
- Demonstrated track record of building high-performing engineering leaders, engineering principals, and teams.
- 10+ years of experience with developing and shipping commercial B2B SaaS software applications, platforms and systems with paying customers.
- An active practitioner (10+ Years' Experience) with Agile development methodologies and tools such as Azure DevOps, Jira, Confluence, Rally, etc.
- Current knowledge in relevant product technologies, including .NET, Azure, Jenkins, Terraform, Octopus, etc.
- Managed groups across different geographic locations, including offshore, nearshore and hybrid teams.
- Expertise in deploying test driven development and automated testing across teams moving towards continuous delivery.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills for both internal and external engagement.
- Experience delivering solutions using PaaS and IaaS within Azure.
- Experience with highly scalable enterprise RDBMS deployments.
- Experience with distributed cache deployments.
- Experience with building systems on the .net framework and/or java.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science; Master's degree preferred.
- Must be highly driven with a passion for developing teams that deliver and help the organization transform; track record of finding and cultivating outstanding technical talent.
- Practitioner-level skills in software development, software release management, version control, and business continuity capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to gather/synthesize market information and customer research to drive business planning and strategy; highly analytical approach to decision making and prioritization.
- Capable of meeting established expectations and takes responsibility for achieving results; encourages others to do the same.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and able to coach others.
- Strong collaboration & negotiation skills, showing ability to influence without ownership; strongly held worldview.
- Proven success in establishing key performance indicators, metrics, and focus to drive software development best practices.
- Ability to gain support and trust across the organization to achieve agreed upon business outcomes.
- Ability to work within a high-growth, fast paced culture.
- Dynamic & driven individual with enthusiasm for working in a high-profile, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
AvidXchange is an equal opportunity employer. AvidXchange is committed to equal employment opportunity in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. AvidXchange will not discriminate against
applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but is not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age
and physical or mental disability.
- Job Family Software Engineering
- Pay Type Salary