L====SYSTEMS ENGINEER – MONITORING (APPDYNAMICS / NAGIOS / ELK)
ALTA IT Services has contract to hire opening for a L====Systems Engineer to support the Systems Monitoring initiatives for a leading health insurance customer. Work is being conducted remotely during COVID-19 Stay at Home Orders, with eventual return to onsite work in downtown Washington DC once pandemic conditions have completely passed.
Candidates must be eligible for work in the United States without sponsorship. Individuals selected for hire must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
- The L====Monitoring Engineer will be responsible for software tool administration for systems and applications monitoring tools such as: AppDynamics or Nagios or ELK Stack.
- AppDynamics (on-prem) administration experience on Linux platform to instrument Java based applications running on IBM WebSphere Application Server.
- Nagios tool set implementation, Administration / Configuration experience in Infrastructure Monitoring (using Nagios XI Server), Network Monitoring (using Nagios Network Analyzer) and Centralized Logging (using Nagios Log Server).
- Or similar Administration experience with ELK Stack – ElasticSearch (search and analytics engine), Logstash (ingest pipeline) and Kibana (visualization and creating dashboards).
- Strong Linux platform (Red Hat) background.
- Automation experience with scripting (Python, Shell, and ANSIBLE) preferred.
- Understanding of SSL setup on Linux servers. Installing CA certs generated by VENAFI tool etc.
- Experience with Network Monitoring and component knowledge: Switches, Routers, Palo Alto Network utilization SNMP, F5 Load Balancers, WebSeal, Info Blocks, Gigamon, Network Mapping a plus.
- Working knowledge of other monitoring tools: MicroFocus BSM, BPM SiteScope, Dynatrace DC RUM is desired. These tools are used to monitor applications and business transactions that impact the business and customers, currently. MicroFocus BSM tools will be retired once AppDynamics and Nagios are fully operational.
- Responsibilities include script writing, installing, managing, and maintaining the monitoring tools, as needed, as well as integration with other tools and collaboration with other groups and their tools.
- Manages, configures and maintains the Nagios tool on Linux platform.
- Responsible for Network Monitoring using Nagios Network Analyzer, Infrastructure/Server Monitoring (Linux, Windows, AIX) using Nagios XI server, Application, SNMP and Log Monitoring.
- Configure centralized logging of all logs from different sources like WebSphere and IHS Webservers on AIX servers to Nagios Log server on Linux. Knowledge of Load Balancers like F5 to route logs to Log server. Handling different types of Log formats.
- Creates required dashboards with data visualization on both Nagios and AppDynamics.
- Manages, configures and maintains the AppDynamics APM tool (On Prem version) on Linux platform, with high availability setup.
- Responsible for Applications’ BTs (Business Transactions) refinement in AppD, set up health rules and fine tune monitoring in AppD.
- Setup EUM (End User Monitoring) / BRUM (Browser Real User Monitoring) component of AppD for applications, using Java script injection at F5 level.
- Maintains the MicroFocus BSM suite of software tools, BPM, VuGen, and SiteScope, till they are decommissioned.
- Creates Selenium scripts to monitor business transactions using AppD’s Synthetic Monitoring.
- Maintains Dynatrace DC RUM tool.
- Support all significant production issues. Activities may include gathering information from a wide variety of sources across all platforms to analyze for correlations, identifying specific performance causes, recommending a variety of possible solutions to remedy issue and issue reports with key findings and next steps.
- Creates documentation to support the management and maintenance of Nagios / AppD tools. Provides training on tools and the associated processes and procedures.
- Analyzes tool data and usage. Communicates weekly with management verbally and via written detailed status reports regarding potential problems and concerns.
- Works with different Systems and Application Architecture teams to ensure that systems monitoring requirements are addressed early in the development process. Coordinates with project teams to ensure that monitoring of new applications is available before release for production.
- Assists in reviewing and analyzing business & system requirements and specifications for systems monitoring tool protocols and future tool usage.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, analytical, communications skills and hands on technical experience
- Self-motivated, adaptable to change, forward-thinking
- Prioritize and manage time under tight deadlines, and demonstrate initiative in problem-solving.
- Enthusiasm to engage in continuous learning, internal drive, intellectual curiosity, ability to learn, and desire to help the customers succeed
- Strong technical skills and ability to work proactively
- Comfortable working under Project Manager supervision
SPECIFIC REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 5-8 years strong IT experience and good working knowledge of a variety of technology platforms in a distributed environment including: Microsoft systems (e.g. Windows 2012 and 2016 Server, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint), Linux/Unix, VMWare, SQL Server, database architectures, TCP/IP, VPNs, Mainframe, LAN/WAN technologies and architectures
- A minimum of 3 years hands-on experience installing, integrating, managing and maintaining monitoring tools like Nagios (XI, Fusion, Network Analyzer, Log Server) or AppDynamics administration and support.
- Or similar Administration experience with ELK Stack – ElasticSearch (search and analytics engine), Logstash (ingest pipeline), and Kibana (visualization and creating dashboards)
- Experience in writing Shell, Python, Selenium, VuGen scripts
- Experience with SSL certs, encryption methods on Linux
- Experience in developing and implementing systems monitoring and alerting strategies in diverse, large-scale environments
- Experience developing and documenting procedures, and policies for tool usage and integration
- Author tool maintenance, training documentation and support requests for training on tool usage
- Knowledge and experience with configuring alerts, dashboards and ad-hoc reports
- Strong understanding of service level management (SLAs, SLRs, etc.)
- Determine and document tool backup and recovery procedures
- Experience with data management tools and databases (e.g., DB2, SQL -familiarity desired)
- Experience in systems and Java applications troubleshooting using monitoring tools like AppDynamics
- Understanding and experience with both waterfall and agile Software Development Life Cycles (SDLC)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field (i.e., Engineering, Applied Science, Math, etc.) or equivalent experience.
HOURLY RATE: $70/hr. range W2
CONVERSION SALARY RANGE: $125,000 annually plus excellent benefits
For consideration please contact Melissa McNally via
ALTA IT Services, LLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other factor.