SAIC is seeking a Satellite Command and Data Handling Electrical Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
JPSS is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA's mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation's economy and protect lives and property.
The C&DH engineer will assess vendor provided C&DH design, performance analyses, and implementation. The analyses provide required external interface information (data, models, and analysis) for the development of the instruments, launch services interface, spacecraft, and ground system, as described below. The engineer will assess the acceptability of the provided design, analyses, and implementation to meet the system requirements, which include all C&DH components for the Instruments, Spacecraft, and Satellite, which utilize RS-422, MIL-STD-1553, and SpaceWire data architectures/protocols.
• Maintain a thorough and up to date understanding of the instruments and spacecraft (including components, requirements, and interfaces) C&DH design, models, analyses, etc.
• Provide timely and thorough documentation production and review.
• Oversee the C&DH design effort of the spacecraft and instrument vendors.
• Review and approve spacecraft and instrument-level verification and validation artifacts for C&DH requirements.
• Support weekly and monthly status meeting with the spacecraft and/or instrument vendors.
• Conduct routine coordination with Government and vendor spacecraft C&DH leads as well as instrument systems engineers.
• Review and assess any data interface between the Spacecraft and an instrument including initialization, operation, and fault recovery of each interface.
• Conduct review and assessment of 1553/SpaceWire Data Timing/Utilization Analysis, which include assessments of percent bus utilization including fault recovery, nominal, and other operational modes; handshaking or time-division multiplexing protocol used to ensure that the required data retrieval rates and timings are achieved for each instrument with adequate margin; and, analysis showing that data rate requirements are met
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
-Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field - 9 years of relevant experience.
- 9 years of relevant experience.
-Knowledge of NASA engineering standards, processes, and best practices.
-Relevant experience with RS-422, 1553 and SpaceWire applications.
-Must have experience reviewing C&DH design analyses and test data for requirements verification.
-Must be able to pass a Government background investigation.
-Hands-on experience with development or oversight of RS-422, 1553, and/or SpaceWire data systems.
-Experience in coordinating stakeholder teams to define engineering interfaces and technical processes.
-Knowledge of system engineering and integration tools.
-Experience in system and schedule integration.
My SAIC Benefits.