Engility is seeking a Scientific Systems Engineer for our FDA Scientific Computing program. Engility supports the FDA and their scientists in Scientific Computing which includes but is not limited to; technical and research aspects (e.g., hardware, software, desktop support, infrastructure, virtualization all in a laboratory environment) supporting a variety of FDA Centers. This position will support OIM.
The ideal candidate shall have expertise in setup, configuration and administration of Windows and OS X Scientific Workstations and integrating them with Active Directory/etc.. Independent, motivated individuals with good oral and written communication skills for documenting process and procedures, and briefing reports are desired. The candidate must be skilled in the setup, configuration and management of scientific workstations. Primary Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Description: To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Perform software application maintenance on scientific workstations running a variety of operating systems including Mac OS X, Windows (some Linux).
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance such as general computer tasks, application loads, disk utilization, system loading and system monitoring, applying operating system patches, Antivirus updates
- Detect, isolate, document, rapidly report, and resolve system outages or problems encountered during operations of the scientific workstations, which includes the collections of diagnostic data, restoring the system operation, development of workarounds, and other activities necessary for recovery of a system
- Accurately document problems in logging and discrepancy reporting tools
- Work directly with the customer in most aspects of the day-to-day activities
- Respond to user calls regarding hardware and software problems, correcting or ensuring that problems are escalated when required.
- Communicate with users and senior management the status of key problem statuses
- Perform hands-on repair of equipment and maintenance/installation of computing infrastructure
- Maintain and troubleshoot all hardware associated with end-user computing, including printers, workstations, router switches, etc.
- Implement continuous improvement methodology through the use of IT systems or procedure
- Maintain inventory of system assets
- Ensure compliance with FDA standards and security policies
- Additional responsibilities will include: End user documentation and training, computer moves and deployments, and additional duties as assigned.
- BS with 5 years' experience or AS with 7 years' experience
- Degree fields include hard science, chemistry, physics, engineering, information systems, computer science, MIS
- 5 years' workstation administration experience, where candidate has installed, configured Windows / Mac systems
- 4 years of experience in the following areas:
- troubleshooting Windows / Mac workstations.
- Installed and configured workstation security services.
- Windows / Mac architecture, scripting
- troubleshooting Linux / Windows / Mac systems and software.
- troubleshooting lab instrumentation systems and software.
- automate system maintenance via scripting
- 4 years of experience working on multiple projects and manage time efficiently
- Ability to communicate about issues, progress, and plans
- Position requires either an active FDA Public Trust clearance or the ability to obtain prior to start
- Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Windows 7 and Windows 10
- Mac OS
Engility delivers innovative solutions to critical challenges facing the nation and the world. As a premier provider of integrated services for the U.S. government, we support the Department of Defense, intelligence community, space communities, federal civilian agencies and international customers. Engility is dedicated to making lives better, safer and more secure. EEO Statement:
Engility Corporation is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. citizenship is required for most positions. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statements, please click here . Department: