Job ID: 2118266 Location:
SILVER SPRING , MD , US Date Posted:
IT Systems EngineerSchedule:
Yes, 10 % of the TimeMinimum Clearance Required:
Public TrustClearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain:
Public TrustPotential for Remote Work:
SAIC seeks a qualified Scientific Systems Engineer for one of our programs supporting the FDA. SAIC supports the FDA and their scientists in Scientific Computing which includes but is not limited to; technical and research aspects (e.g., hardware, software, desktop support, infrastructure, virtualization all in a laboratory environment) supporting a variety of FDA Centers. This position will support CBER in Silver Springs, MD.
The IT Systems Engineer
will be required to provide technical support for Windows and Mac OS X workstations in the FDA laboratory and office environment. He/she shall have expertise in setup, configuration, management and administration of Windows and OS X Scientific Workstations and integrating them with Active Directory/etc, to include network adapters and network routers. Primary Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Qualifications To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Perform software application maintenance on scientific workstations running a variety of operating systems including Mac OS X, Windows (some Linux).
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance such as general computer tasks, application loads, disk utilization, system loading and system monitoring, applying operating system patches, Antivirus updates
- Detect, isolate, document, rapidly report, and resolve system outages or problems encountered during operations of the scientific workstations, which includes the collections of diagnostic data, restoring the system operation, development of workarounds, and other activities necessary for recovery of a system
- Accurately document problems in logging and discrepancy reporting tools
- Work directly with the customer in most aspects of the day-to-day activities
- Respond to user calls regarding hardware and software problems, correcting or ensuring that problems are escalated when required. Communicate with users and senior management the status of key problem statuses
- Perform hands-on repair of equipment and maintenance/installation of computing infrastructure
- Maintain and troubleshoot all hardware associated with end-user computing, including printers, workstations, router switches, etc.
- Perform daily network maintenance including network backups and monitoring
- Implement continuous improvement methodology through the use of IT systems or procedure
- Maintain inventory of system assets
- Ensure compliance with FDA standards and security policies
- Additional responsibilities will include: End user documentation and training, computer moves and deployments, and additional duties as assigned.
- BS/MS in a scientific or technical discipline - (chemistry, physics), engineering (any), information systems, computer science, or a related field. We may accept an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a Bachelors degree.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in scientific Computing support in the following related areas:
- Proficient in setup, configuration and administration of Windows 7&10, and MacOS X scientific computers
- Active Directory
- Windows Server Update Service
- Installing and configuring workstation security services
- Troubleshooting lab instrumentation systems and software
- Effective oral and written communication skills for documenting process and procedures and briefing reports required
- Must have demonstrated experience interfacing with highly technical customer base (scientists, researchers and physicians)
- Position requires either an active FDA Public Trust clearance or the ability to obtain prior to start
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com .
My SAIC Benefits.