Sr Security Engineer
Contract-to-Hire Opportunity in Alpharetta, GA
We are seeking a talented Senior Security Engineer that will have a deep technical background, substantial hands-on experience, and passion for information security along with a desire to champion best practices. This role is responsible for performing all engineering functions required to support day-to-day data security operations, including supporting and maintaining a broad suite of information security infrastructure. This role is required to participate in the planning, design, installation, and maintenance of security systems in support of confidentiality, integrity, and availability. This role is accountable for reviewing security configurations on systems and networking infrastructure components, providing guidance on availability and integrity, and monitoring compliance with regulatory requirements and security standards. This role is instrumental in the assessment of technology risk and in addressing security issues and executing remediation activities alongside technology partners across the organization.
- Design, document, and deploy cybersecurity systems that will be used across the environment.
- Develop and carry out information security plans and policies.
- Provide design validation and troubleshooting for new technology and major changes within the environment.
- Define, document, and enforce standards, processes, procedures, and workflows within the team to better streamline the group.
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the data residing on or transmitted to/from/through the enterprise networks.
- Participate in defining best of class security practices for enterprise networks providing high-volume financial services transactions.
- Participate in maintenance windows where applicable.
- Collaborate with other technology groups and technology architects on product strategy discussions.
- Partner with the Cybersecurity Operations team to improve tool usage and workflow in the maturation of monitoring and response capabilities.
- Develop or implement open-source/third-party tools to assist in the detection, prevention, and analysis of security threats.
- On-call resource for Incident Response and operational functions.
- Research, develop, and keep abreast of tools, techniques, and process improvements in support of cybersecurity threats and countermeasures. Maintain working knowledge of advanced threat detection as the industry evolves.
- Actively engage in the performance of Incident Response activities including, but not limited to, triage, escalation, conducting post-mortem and lessons learned review meetings, and remediation tracking.
- Leverage knowledge in multiple security disciplines, such as Windows, UNIX, Linux, data loss prevention (DLP), file integrity monitoring (FIM), endpoint controls, databases, wireless security, and data networking and encryption to offer solutions for a complex heterogeneous environment.
- Report risks that are identified to the appropriate team and/or management. Additionally, responsible for managing, monitoring, and reporting risks within the scope of your work area to include, but not limited to, Information Security risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/related field or 5+ years of equivalent work experience in Cybersecurity.
- 7+ years of IT technical experience with 5+ years’ broad-based experience in security engineering. Specialized expertise a plus.
- 5+ years of security engineering experience in a mid to large IT organization.
- Knowledge of PCI-DSS 3.2.
- 5+ years of experience with SIEM deployment and log management.
- 5+ years of hands-on and progressive information security design and implementation experience in a security engineering role preferred.
- Exceptional planning, organization, communication, presentation, multi-tasking, prioritization, documentation, and business analysis skills.
- Ability to work independently in addition to working closely in a team environment.
- Experience with network, server, and appliance secure configuration (hardening) using frameworks such as CIS, DISA, and NIST.
- Experience with Identity and Access Management (IdAM) solutions. Experience with Privileged Identity/Access Management (PIM/PAM), a plus.
- Excellent hands-on experience with firewalls (perimeter and web application). F5 ASM experienced preferred.
- Excellent experience and knowledge of TCP/IP protocols, network/packet analysis, and intrusion detection/prevention.
- Excellent experience and knowledge of Data Loss Prevention (DLP) solutions.
- Excellent experience and knowledge of Azure security controls, including InTune, MDM, MAM, and Autopilot.
- Advanced experience with Anti-virAnti-malware products, endpoint security control solutions, and URL filtering.
- Advanced experience with Vulnerability Management solutions.
- Advanced experience with scripting languages – PowerShell, Bash, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and assess security patch and service pack releases and their associated impact, as well as an understanding of patch management systems.
- Experience working with a variety of security-related platforms and services, including SIEM systems, Threat Intelligence platforms, Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR) solutions, Encryption technologies, File Integrity Monitoring (FIM), and other network and system monitoring tools.
- Experience troubleshooting security control-related technologies and solutions.
- Experience with Public Key Cryptography (PKI) and deep understanding and knowledge of cryptography.
- Experience with NIST 800-53, NIST CSF, IS 27001, PCI-DSS, and SOC standards. FFIEC, NCUA, and GLBA a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of security best practices and procedures.
- Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to provide support in resolving IT security or related product issues as required.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- The ability to interpret technical needs and provide thorough and complete support.
- Demonstrates highly effective verbal/written communication skills with the ability to facilitate meetings and influence.
- Excellent attention to detail, highly analytical, and problem-solving mindset. Able to identify process improvement opportunities, separate key issues, consider alternatives or multiple solutions, and effectively make recommendations.
- Experience in managing change in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Knowledge of ITIL best practices.
- Preferred security-related certifications (e.g., SSCP, ISSEP, ISSAP, CCSP, CCNP, MCSE, C|EH, OSCP, OSWE, GWEB, GPEN, CFCE, CHFI).
- CISSP required.
- PMP a plus.
***Must be local and eligible without sponsorship.
To apply, please email your resume to