Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
Do you enjoy multiple areas of Security? Do you enjoy playing for both red and blue teams, but are blue at heart? As a security developer, your focus will be on cloud infrastructure security and compliance. If you are looking to effect change and make an impact from the ground up, keep reading.
We have an opening for a Security Developer to help secure our on-prem cloud native compute infrastructure, define and implement security checks in our deployment pipelines, and help define infrastructure security and best practices as it relates to container and cloud native technologies. You will play a key role in helping define and develop a cutting edge on-prem cloud native compute environment. This position is in the GS-CAD Division in Computing matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Secure multi-tenant Kubernetes clusters across different networks with varying security requirements
- Integrate security checks and processes into automated deployment pipelines utilizing infrastructure as code (IaC) technologies (e.g. Ansible, Docker, Vagrant).
- Triage security issues and recommend fixes.
- Document and version control the security components, using Git and Confluence; track/report work status in tickets using JIRA.
- Evaluate and implement new tools, processes, and frameworks for risk management.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, software developers, IT professionals, researchers, and teams to architect security measures into their work
- Engage with security specialists and other cybersecurity experts on best approaches.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Discover, exploit and provide solutions to vulnerabilities found in systems and work with vendors and open source communities on proper resolutions.
- Develop best practices and security standards for the group.
- Investigate cost-effective solutions to security problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Ability to articulate, plan, implement and manage software security best practices.
- Experience with software development practices with an understanding of common programming languages (e.g., Python, Go, Perl, Bash).
- Experience with or comprehensive knowledge of virtualized technologies (e.g. VMware, Ovirt, or Vagrant) and/or containerized environments (e.g. Docker, Podman or Kubernetes).
- Proficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience securing virtualized technologies (e.g. VMware, Ovirt, or Vagrant) and/or containerized environments (e.g. Docker, Podman or Kubernetes).
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, and virtualized environments.
- Experience integrating automated security measures into infrastructure deployment pipelines leveraging infrastructure as code (IaC) technologies (Ansible, Docker, Vagrant).
- Experience securing multi-tenant containerized environments (e.g. Docker, Podman or Kubernetes).
- Experience automating security plans/checks into testing infrastructure and integrating them into CI/CD.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
If you are selected, we willinitiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applyingcutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.