Enterprise IT Senior Network Engineer
Contract to Hire position
Associate degree in Information Technology or related experience required. Applicants may substitute additional relevant experience for the required education.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) preferred, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) required.
Monitor IT network infrastructure alerts and events including: review of logs and log correlation from disparate subsystems, preparation and review of custom reports from core switches, firewalls, routers, remote/distribution switches, UPS s, wireless controllers and AP s, load balancers, website filtering and proxies.
- In collaboration with the Network Operations Center (NOC) personnel establish and configure network elements for monitoring that adhere to industry best practices and methodologies for monitoring and alerting.
- Ensure all network equipment configuration is managed in a secure and efficient manner.
- Use knowledge of Layer-1 through layer-7 networking technologies to provide end-users with reliable IT solutions.
- Manage network services, workloads and schedules of vendors and suppliers, and foremost the OLA s and SLA s governing IT solutions.
- Plan and participate in the life-cycle management of the networking gear, and in the continuous equipment replacement cycle activities.
- Manage inventory of all networking equipment and implement new network infrastructure for new site implementations and site refreshes.
- Create network diagrams and documentation using versioning methodologies to ensure accurate and up to date records of deployed solutions, as well as maintain existing documentation.
- Participate in the network team service desk queue, and efficiently identify and remediate any incidents and problems escalated.
- Manage vendors, suppliers, service providers, and stakeholders during the remediation activities.
- React to alerts, incidents, problems, and requests escalated to the network team.
- Use industry standard troubleshooting tools/equipment/techniques (packet-capture and analysis, protocol analyzers and analysis, logging servers and alerting platforms), as well as, experience and imagination in correlation of events to accelerate remediation of impaired IT services.
- Identify bugs and deficiencies in networking hardware or software, come up with remediation plan(s), and successfully implement remedies to identified network anomalies.
- Share understanding of remediation procedures and techniques with teammates (both formally and informally) to preserve knowledge.
- Assist with the management and implementation of network infrastructure related projects, including: commissioning of newly constructed facilities, networking hardware and software lease refreshments, upgrades, change requests and incident management, and alike.
- Work with project teams across the IT Department and throughout the city to implement network connectivity solutions.
- Participate in site surveys and assessments for IT outfitting and rite-sizing of gear to match end-user s requirements.
- Plan new site wired and wireless deployments from design to implementation.
- Travel to various locations around Raleigh, to ensure networking equipment is working optimally.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of personnel
- Strong client-service orientation and focus
- Solid written, verbal, presentation, and documentation skills
- Self-motivation, and problem solving skills
- Expert in management of Layer-2 and Layer-3 and troubleshooting/tuning techniques of related protocols
- Strong knowledge of routing protocols including OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP,
- Experience with IP traffic redistribution, route filtering, load-balancing, and VRF
- Strong understanding of VMware and Virtualization technology
- Strong understanding of Cisco UCS and converged infrastructure
- Strong understanding of VLANs, Subnetting, and IP Provisioning
- Experience with VPN setup and troubleshooting in an enterprise environment
- Hands on experience with Cisco operating systems including IOS and Nx-OS
- Knowledge of wireless services principles and understanding of controller based WiFi
- Hands on experience with Cisco ASA and/or PaloAlto, or experience with applications of network edge security in standards based security appliances
- Experience with VoIP is highly desirable (concepts, their application and setup, troubleshooting)
- Experience with MPLS is highly desirable (concepts, their application and setup, troubleshooting)
- Experience with F5, NetScaler, or comparable load-balancing technologies is highly desirable
- Knowledge of IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and IT Service Management (ITSM) methodologies - ITILv3 Certification is desirable
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a network engineer/administrator in an enterprise environment