The Assistant Vice President, Senior Android Engineer craves working in a hands-on mobile application coding, design, and architecture environment, and leads by example to make sure time sensitive projects get done on time and to specifications. To be successful in this dynamic and collaborative role, deep expertise in Android development and the ability to influence and lead are musts.
This AVP will lead the development and the production support of our mobile applications by creating and developing thoughtful solutions to anticipate bugs and maintain operational excellence. In short, you would be one of our Android experts.
You are the right candidate if you…
- Have passion: Sure you can code, but are you passionate about mobile software development?
- Have common sense: Building is important, but do you think through designs to ensure they’re the best solutions first?
- Are slightly obsessed with pretty code: Do you write elegant, testable, performant code that is robust and scalable?
- Are a leader: This AVP will lead a tech team to deliver awesome cutting edge apps. Are you up for the challenge?
- Learn quickly and adapt to new technology: Let’s face it – technology changes by the minute. Are you able to quickly adapt and learn to be productive with new languages, operating systems, and tools?
- Think like a customer: Central to our products is our understanding of our customers’ needs and requirements. Do you consider UX in your decision making, and think like a customer?
- Have tech chops: Boasting a Java & Android development background is a must
- Lead a development team through all phases of the Agile development life cycle
- Manage a team of software developers
- Implement new technologies and assist developers as they migrate to new technologies
- Develop applications using Java as a leader of the development team
- Influence and collaborate with software developers, UX designers, product managers, application architects, and customer application experts to create amazing apps
- Mentor and influence all levels of the team: in this role, you will have the opportunity to influence up and down the chain of command
- Ensure compliance with architecture, security and technology standards set by Synchrony
- Assist in crafting and maintaining the future state technology architectural strategy and roadmap
- Participate in Agile scrums consisting of cross-functional teams
- Lead Agile sprints as technical expert, including sprint planning, daily standups, backlog grooming sessions, and sprint reviews
- Ensure application code quality through development, test, and QA
- Participate in addressing root cause analyses, incident reports and provide direction in problem resolution
- Ability to analyze production defects, troubleshoot systems, identify root cause, and implement fixes
- Passionate about the latest technologies, open source projects and languages;
- Provide 24x7 on-call support periodically throughout the year
- Identify ways to increase efficiency and improve system performance
- Work with third party vendors to develop software and/or integrate their software into the company's products
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum 4 years of experience with application development OR, in lieu of degree, High School Diploma/GED 6 years of experience with application development
- Minimum of 3 years of Android Application Development experience with object oriented design and development patterns
- Experience building and consuming web services via SOAP and REST
- 4+ years of Android development experience
- Experience with libraries and frameworks such as Retrofit, Dagger 2 and RxAndroid
- Experience with continuous integration environments
- Experience writing unit, integration and UI test cases
- Familiarity with JSON, REST and XML based web services
- Working knowledge of the overall mobile industry including iOS and mobile web
- Excellence in technical communication with technical and non-technical peers
- Strong cross-functional team player with the ability to work seamlessly across a matrix organization and partner with global development companies
- Desire to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Experience developing and supporting financial/banking applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to influence clients, team members, management and external groups
- Strong attention to detail in a team environment
- Strong oral and written communication, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze, use structured problem solving and available tools to troubleshoot systems, identify root cause, action plans, impact and resolution options