As the Sr. Application Engineer, you will be a core member of the development team. Working closely with product and tech teams, you will design, build, test, iterate, and deploy the different systems. You will participate in code reviews, propose process improvements, and recommend smart tradeoffs between schedule, resources, and scope in order to deliver on our projects.
- Implement new functionality and enhance existing functionality including everything from the user interface to the search weightings to the integration with the database.
- Write code that follows best practices and requires little guidance from more senior engineers, demonstrating advanced scripting and querying skills and basic object oriented analysis and design skills, as well as a focus on scalability and performance.
- Perform meaningful estimation of technical work and effective assessment of technical risk.
- Troubleshoot development support issues - understanding root cause, then recommending and implementing long-term solutions.
- Demonstrate your advanced understanding of the functional requirements and end-user frustrations by actively influencing design, development, and deployment in order to best deliver business value to customers.
- Communicate the design by training users and by creating implementation and maintenance plans, wiki articles, and other systems documentation as needed.
- Undergraduate degree in relevant area such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Information Systems.
- Proficiency in related integration technologies (JSON, XML, REST, SOAP).
- Understanding of essential software engineering areas, including system testing, software version control, software development cycle, and build and deployment issues.
- 5+ years of hands-on development Java programming experience.
- Strong understanding of relational databases and object-oriented coding.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to formulate logic for new systems, devise logic procedures, prepare flowcharting, write new code, and test/debug new programs.
- Experience building applications using the AWS platform.
- Strong understanding of the importance and techniques of testing.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience in end-to-end ownership of applications, from inception through post-deployment support and iterative enhancement.