The Data Ingestion team of Decision Sciences and Transformation (DSaT)
is seeking a highly motivated Sr. Big Data Developer
for the Big Data Platform project. This will be a senior role and this associate will team up with architects, scrum masters, leads, managers, and directors, you will work in an Agile environment to ingest data from various sources and make the data on the Big Data Platform accessible for the needs of the organization through atomic models and analytical data Stores.
In this role, you will coordinate with a variety of IT departments to elicit and translate high-level business requirements into detailed system design. You will participate in the entire software development lifecycle which includes requirements, design, development, and executing test plans. In addition, you will work on finding solutions to issues during development and after deployment. You should be intellectually curious, have a solutions-oriented attitude, and enjoy learning new tools and techniques.Qualifications:
• 2+ year experience in Azure using Azure Data Lake Store, Azure Event Hubs or Azure Synapse
• 2+ years of experience working with Java based applications, open source technologies and SQL.
• 1+ year of experience with RabbitMQ, Kafka or other messaging technologies
• 1+ year of experience in Kubernetes
• 1+ years of experience with ETL Development
• 1+ year of Production Support and operationalization of Applications
• Experience with manipulating and transforming data
• Exposure to NoSQL databases, Spark and the Hadoop Ecosystem (MapReduce, Oozie, Hive, Pig)
• Experience with Change Data Capture (CDC) technologies and relational databases such as MS SQL, Oracle and DB2
• Experience with mentoring software developers
• Strong critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
• Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience requiredNote:
The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO's highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD office.Benefits:
As a full-time Senior Big Data Engineer, you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensure
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.