The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is seeking a Senior Business Analyst to join its Information Technology (IT) department. The Senior Business Analyst is responsible for analyzing business processes and gathering business requirements for initiatives that support the strategic objectives of the Association. The analyst in this position partners with the functional groups within the business organization to communicate and clarify business needs, contribute to development of long and short term plans, and ensure process and services are aligned with business needs. The analyst conducts business process analysis, needs assessments, and preliminary cost-versus-benefit assessment; brokers other IT services; and communicates trends and requirements with business and IT staff. The analyst uncovers client requirements via industry standard model-driven analysis techniques and documents and manages requirements via the approved processes, templates, and tools throughout the software development life cycle. Incumbents in this position are challenged to develop and maintain effective working relations with both business and IT in a way that demonstrates an understanding of business problems as well as IT strategies, issues, and priorities. This position requires extensive interaction with IT and AAMC business leaders and program management staff.
Performing Business Process Analysis
* Perform the As-Is and To-Be business process modeling (BPM).
* Identify opportunities to improve and refine business processes using such techniques as Business Process Engineering (BPR), Six Sigma, Lean, and Agile.
* Make recommendations for the To-Be process and business flows that would achieve optimal outcomes aligned with business objectives of the Business Unit.
* Identify and document areas of potential risks and communicate them to appropriate project participants.
Eliciting and Documenting Requirements
* Elicit functional and non-functional (performance, availability, security, accessibility, cross-browser compliance) requirements using a methodology most appropriate for the context of each project, such as Joint Requirements Planning (JRP), Joint Application Development (JAD). Facilitate and lead the initial requirements elicitation and subsequent documented requirements review meetings.
* Apply technical knowledge and the ability to express technical concepts in terms that are understandable to the business managers.
* Achieve project participants- consensus on requirements and ensure that requirements are non-ambiguous, estimable, non-duplicative, and detailed enough to support development of comprehensive test cases and commencement of construction activities to implement them.
* Capture, define, and translate requirements into activity diagrams, system use cases and user stories with comprehensive acceptance criteria and obtain their approvals from Business Unit System Owner and IT project stakeholders. Construct workflow diagrams that enable the development team to clearly understand the business and functional logic using UML and business process modeling.
Following Existing IT Processes and Contributing to IT Process Improvement Efforts
* Manage requirements by following IT-s standard processes, templates, and tools.
* Participate in IT-s process improvement initiatives by completing assignments for creating or revising requirements management templates, standards, and procedures and by actively participating in the Business Analysis Community of Practice (CoP).
* Ensure accurate and timely reporting of projects and timesheets.
Collaboration with Business Units, External and Internal Vendors to Clarify Established Requirements During the Entire Project Duration
* Interact extensively with IT and AAMC business leaders and program management staff.
* Serve as the main requirements liaison between Business Unit project participants, developers, QA engineers, located both on-site, off-site, and off-shore.
* Coordinate with vendors and project participants to ensure that the Business Unit vision, needs, requirements, and specifications are clearly understood.
* Review QA test cases and Requirements-to-Test Cases Matrices (RTM) to ensure comprehensive coverage of requirements by test case artifacts.
* A Bachelor-s Degree in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related discipline is required though a Master-s Degree is preferred.
* At least 5 years of relevant work experience is required; 6-7 years- experience is preferred.
* IIBA CBAP Certification and/or Scrum Master Certification is preferred.
* At least 5 years of intermediate to advanced general business analysis experience, preferably in an IT consulting environment or across various industries and project types (including custom software development, COTS and SAAS implementation, O&M support).
* At least 5 years of intermediate to advanced experience in Use Case diagramming, Business Process Modeling (BPM) and User Stories development. Intermediate to advanced experience writing user stories using preferred tools such as Jira and Version One.
* At least 3 years of intermediate to advanced experience in using Visio and specialized BPM tools such as BPMN or UML to document process and workflow diagrams.
* At least 3 years of intermediate to advanced experience providing requirements and business analysis support to Agile software development projects.
* At least 2 years of intermediate to advanced knowledge of Agile experience in a Scrum setting (preferred).
* Excellent oral and written communication skills to make effective presentations and interact effectively in a team setting as well as cross-team and cross-organization setting (involving external business partners and vendors).
* Basic knowledge and prior experience in the business operations, organization, and administration of medical schools and/or academic health centers is desirable.
* Advanced skills using MS Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Intermediate to advanced demonstrated knowledge of the software development lifecycle, systems analysis, and project management practices required.
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge and prior experience in the business operations, organization, and administration of medical schools and/or academic health centers desirable.
* Intermediate to advanced facilitation skills in meetings with one to 20 attendees to drive a variety of outcomes.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative-- Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process.
It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.