Position: Senior Business Analyst
Clients rank projects from small to large and may or may not involve technology. Two examples would be a project involving new rating structures for a new product line (no technology) vs. creating a new client facing portal for an existing product.
All project life cycles involve an Intake, Planning, Execution, and Commissioning stages. The success of a project is largely determined by the necessary and sufficient definition of its scope and the determination of needed resources.
The Senior Business Analyst drives the buildout of high level specifications during the Intake stage with all departments involved, participates in the project planning (both time and resources) during the Intake & Planning stages, and drives the buildout of necessary and sufficient specifications during the early part of the Execution stage. Business analysis and the formulation of the resulting project requirements / specifications is key.
How your success will be measured:
- Absence of scope creep arising from poor or incomplete specifications (high level and execution)
- Adequacy of competency and associated resources forecast during Intake and Planning as compared to the Execution stage
- Customer satisfaction upon Commissioning delivering what was asked
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Scopes, directs, and manages the early stages of the project definition, its requirements and specifications as defined by business stakeholders, by coordinating activities across all necessary functional areas
- Becomes a subject matter expert that does not simply push a project into the project management lifecycle, but also ensures that business value is delivered
- Ensures that business objectives are defined and that the project scope and requirements are geared to meet those objectives
- Analyzes potential risks to the delivery of expected business objectives
- Understands stakeholder needs and concerns, both at the C-level and business unite level, and stays in regular communication with stakeholders to make sure their needs and concerns are addressed
- Establishes strong relationships with customers, business partners, and other stakeholders by demonstrating area expertise and enterprise business acumen
- Establishes a strong relationship with Project Managers managing the execution. Provides necessary support in areas that need further definition
Required Skills & Experience
- Both business and technical proficiency is a requirement for this role, with at least 5 years of experience in business and project analysis and planning. Comfortable dealing with a technology and software programming environment as well as with business units
- Ability to speak eloquently and persuasively to business users about technical topics; to speak eloquently to technical people about business related topics; to work smoothly with people from multiple professional disciplines; and to offer presentations of the highest professional quality
- Ability to operate with uncertainty and incomplete information while still moving with confidence and enthusiasm
- Expert proficiency with MS Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, wireframes, and process modeling. Knowledge of raw data analysis, database design, software development and programming, and SQL experience
- A background in the service industry (Insurance, Banking, Financial, other) with emphasis on building specifications, scopes and SOWs a plus